SEKI Roaring River Campsite

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: SEKI Roaring River Campsite

Post by AlmostThere »

The outhouse is a box privy - if you are in the campsite to the north of the trail closest to the bridge, there is a sign just up the hill from the big open space with the fire pit. The bear box is across the trail from the campsite. The other campsite with a bear box is accessible by hiking up past the ranger station and looking for a use trail to the left that heads toward the river, behind a hill, to a large open site where the trail crew or the packers tend to camp as there are hitching rails and plenty of room for the bigger tents.

Last year we spent a late afternoon/evening camped at that site near the bridge, catching little brown trout and swimming. Was quite nice. The ranger was not in residence yet in July, as apparently her horse was injured coming over a pass - I assume Avalanche as there were places big rocks had fallen on the rocky switchbacks that would make it difficult for stock. Coming in from the pack station at Rowell TH there are no passes, and I certainly can't see them taking mules over Elizabeth or Colby.

It's definitely an area I will be back to again in the future. Love Kings Canyon in general but that region in particular.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: SEKI Roaring River Campsite

Post by oldranger »

AT gave a perfect description of camping on the station side of the river!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!