Tuolumne Meadows permit - where?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Tuolumne Meadows permit - where?

Post by commonloon »

I'm going to do a quick overnight with my 10yr son. I'm thinking out and back either Bubbs Creek or Lyell Creek. I'm pretty sure Roads End is self issue at the little hut this time of year, but with regard to Tuolumne Meadows...

The NPS website says the Wilderness Center is open "Approximately late May to October 14 (conditions permitting). From mid-October to May, permits are available at the Tuolumne Meadows Ranger Station (self-registration)."

Does anyone know if the Wilderness Center is still open?

Also, I don't remember where exactly the ranger station is(?).

THANKS!!

ps: I'm a level 4 backpacker and I know we can expect colder night temps ;-) We'll be prepared.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Re: Tuolumne Meadows permit - where?

Post by markskor »

As a point of reference, from the TM store, go ~ 1 mile east on 120 - right turn...road sign marked as "Lodge"...(same road as the Wilderness Permit office). However, after making the turn do not turn into Wilderness permit lot to the right, but proceed left about 200 yards still going towards the Lodge. You will see a white flagpole. (BTW, this flagpole marks a good spot for cell reception.) Park at the pole and look for self registration area/ Ranger station north of/ now just behind you.
Mountainman who swims with trout
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

As I recall you cannot park overnight in TM after October 15.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Super. Thank for info guys!

I'll plan on parking on 120 off the road somewhere, when we leave the car.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Gates close on 120 when the snow hits. I suggest Saddlebag.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yosemite NP:
Overnight parking on the Tioga Road (and associated parking lots) and Glacier Point Road beyond Badger Pass is prohibited beginning October 15 each year until the roads reopen the following spring. No shuttle service is available (except for the Glacier Point Tour, which stops only at Glacier Point). On the Tioga Road, parking is available at Tuolumne Grove or east of Tioga Pass (outside the park), until the road closes.
SEKI NP:
Due to unexpected CalTrans road work on Highway 180, Cedar Grove will be closing for the season on Monday, October 22, 2018 at 10:00 a.m., three weeks earlier than planned.
Crews will be taking advantage of low water flows to shore up the embankments along the highway. The Highway 180 closure will be just east of Hume Lake Road.
The park is working to make contact with hikers, campers, and other visitors currently in the area, as well as alerting those who were planning to visit after Monday. For park information and trip-planning, please visit our website nps.gov/seki or call the main park line 55.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Oh... Thanks Maverick.

It seems like because of parking that Bubbs is the only choice. We're going in tomorrow (Alpine start - dad is driving while kid is sleeping) and coming back out Sunday.

Rlown: We've done Saddlebag multiple times. My father and grandfather (he was a park ranger) took me there when I was a kid and Saddlebag was the 1st real backpacking trip I took him on too.