Dade Lake to Granite Park

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Dade Lake to Granite Park

Post by Harlen »

Wandering Daisy wrote:
Personally, I would make two trips out of it; walk back to the trailhead, drive to Pine Creek TH, and then go up to Granite Basin, unless you specifically want to do a loop.
Rereading your post Saltydog, I wonder if you are just doing a nice loop trip- connecting 2 trail heads, or if this "last piece" as you put it, means that this piece is part of a long multi-day/week trip you are planning? Are you traveling far? If so, great, and we'll wish you even more good luck! The Harlens.
Last edited by Harlen on Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

robertseeburger wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:05 pmAnd so, if I go back what will I do? I will descend from Granite Park to Pine Creek trailhead and then up to Bear Lake/Split Lake/Spire Lake/Peppermint Pass/Dade Lake. I dont think there is really any viable way around this..and I hate to descend and climb as much as anyone else..but I think this is the most practical way.

That sounds like pasting two different trips together. There's nothing inherently wrong with that but it's twice as long and a lot more elevation compared to Cox Col + Italy Pass. And slogging down to low elevation and back doesn't seem like anywhere near as much fun to me as going over those high passes.

One year I traveled from Granite Basin over Italy Pass and Cox Col in early May. So it was on skis which makes it less of a straight comparison. But from that perspective it was wonderful and the scenery was magnificent. I'll do it again if I get the chance. In the summer it wouldn't be quite as much fun but I'd still choose it over visiting the Pine Creek trailhead.

But that's me. You obviously see it differently.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Saltydog wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:59 am Last little piece of next years route is Dade Lake to Granite Park. Not looking for a track, just some first hand hand evaluation on level of difficulty. Toughest thing I have done lately, for comparison, is North Goddard Creek, Davis Lake, Wanda Col, and that would be about the limit of my appetite for this. I'll be coming over Mono PAss, trying to avoid dropping down over Morgan to Pine Creek TH and back up again, so shooting for Granite Park more or less directly from Dade Lake, which I know I can get. Thanks
Saltydog,

I don't have any useful information for you. I just wanted to greet you back on HST. We met last summer at Tyndall Creek--you were about to head for Lake South America and we talked weather. Hope the rest of your trip went well :)
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by robertseeburger »

Reading all the threads again.. no question.. the most logical way to get back to Dade Lake from Granite Park is over Italy Pass and Cox Col. Especially if coming from Granite Park...where you get to descend Cox Col on the east.

The easiest (trail almost all the way) is to descend from Granite Park to the trailhead at Pine Creek and then up the trail across to get to Dade Lake.

My thinking was indeed if a loop trip is the prerequisite. I was just in the area last month (TR posted in fishing section). I had a chance to think about a loop trip..that is why I responded. I have climbed Gabb and Abbot, but never been up Mills Creek and over Gabbot Pass. My loop trip ( in my brain..that is what this time of year is about!) is Mono Pass/Mills Creek/Gabbot Pass/Italy Pass/Granite Park/down to the trailhead/up over Peppermint Pass, past Dade Lake and return.. Again I dont like the descent to the Pine Creek trailhead, but if a loop trip is in order, this is what made sense to me.

Here are two pictures that are relevant.
First a view from Spire Lake to Peppermint Pass..not too difficult.
DSC00307.jpg
Then a view from Spire Lake up to the pass south of Bear Creek Spire ( I believe this is Spire Col) that could connect Granite Park directly to Dade Lake via Peppermint Pass. Per prior post in this thread.. I believe this class 5 and I consider undoable.
DSC00321.jpg
Hope this helps.. Sorry if I confused on the loop trip dialogue in terms of descending..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

You cannot make another post so soon after your last.
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted

Post by Saltydog »

Thanks for all the above info. To clarify and respond to several commenters at once: this section I am looking to do is part of a route I am putting together from Yosemite to Whitney region, as much on trail but not the JMT as possible. I did another version two years ago from Glacier Point to Pine Creek, all on mapped trail, only two miles on JMT. It included Hilgard Branch, Italy Pass and Granite Park. This year, I want to get to Granite Park, then Pine Creek Pass, out over Piute resup at Parchers, back in over Bishop. I will be taking McGee Pass trail from Tully Hole, and am good to Dade Lake, and also all set South from Granite Park, so all I am looking for is Dade Lake to GP. Friend of mine is doing a guided snow tour in April on the same route, and I am not sure how they get past what is described above as the Class 3-5 stretch, around Bear Creek Spire. I like the sound of Peppermint Pass, but It seems like what I am being told is that the crux, around Bear Creek Spire, is a moderate snow traverse, but not so easy over the rock. That right? Definitely trying to avoid dropping down to Pine Creek TH, and rather not go back over the Crest to Lake Italy and Italy Pass, but it sounds like the latter may be the best deal. thanks.
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted

Post by Saltydog »

kpeter wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:42 am
Saltydog wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:59 am Last little piece of next years route is Dade Lake to Granite Park. Not looking for a track, just some first hand hand evaluation on level of difficulty. Toughest thing I have done lately, for comparison, is North Goddard Creek, Davis Lake, Wanda Col, and that would be about the limit of my appetite for this. I'll be coming over Mono PAss, trying to avoid dropping down over Morgan to Pine Creek TH and back up again, so shooting for Granite Park more or less directly from Dade Lake, which I know I can get. Thanks
Saltydog,

I don't have any useful information for you. I just wanted to greet you back on HST. We met last summer at Tyndall Creek--you were about to head for Lake South America and we talked weather. Hope the rest of your trip went well :)
Yep it great> Good to hear from you again. I had to back off of LSA due to weather (a big supercharged thunderhead camped out over it and started slamming it early in the day) so I headed south and had a glorious, leisurely exploration and exit at Cottonwood a couple days later.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

The reputation of that Cox Col traverse around Bear Creek spire is just as you say - better on the snow than on the rock. I have no experience on that route but I do know it is guided regularly as a ski tour.
But there is an alternative to the dropping to pine creek thing, although it involves a bit more off trail. You change your route earlier, just after McGee Pass. Somewhere around Big McGee, you hop over Hopkins Pass to Hopkins Lakes, then down to Mono Creek, up the Second Recess ( supposed to be a trail partway up there at least) to Mills creek lakes, over Gabbot Pass to Lake Italy, and Italy Pass to Granite park. Take a look at that.
Also, as I expect you have already worked out, the if you decide to drop to pine creek trailhead, Morgan pass is the way to get there.
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted

Post by Saltydog »

Paul: Very cool. I was in fact looking at Hopkins Pass, but did not see the way to Mills Creek Lakes or Gabbot Pass: I will look at that. Also still looking at a col SSE of the eastern edge of SPlit Lake, which does not at first glance look any worse than Peppermint. Am I missing something there?
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted

Post by Saltydog »

OK: I looked closer at the col south of Split, and it does not go for me. I am now looking at Hopkins Pass, 2nd Recess, Gabbot Pass, with possible plans B Morgan to Pine Creek, and Mono Creek to Hilgard Branch. That's plan enough for me to decide in the field. Mission accomplished and many, many thanks to all above/