Looking for Spring/Fall Backpacking

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Looking for Spring/Fall Backpacking

Post by c9h13no3 »

LeggettLama wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:57 am I live in Leggett, CA, so just getting to El Portal takes 6 1/2 hours. Any word on Chain Lakes?
Since you live in NorCal, consider the 4 Lakes Loop around Silligo Peak. It's a couple hours closer to you.

There's many lakes called "Chain Lakes", you'll have to specify. The ones inside YNP are accessed from the Quartz Mountain trailhead, which is a long drive from you along Forest Service roads. I hear they're nice, but in the same time you can drive to Bishop and access any east side trail head. So I've never been.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

When I first started ultralightweight backpacking, I did not know where I wanted to go in the high country of Yosemite. Finally I put together a 65-mile loop trip with a lot of up and down. Then I didn't know how long it was going to take me. I asked some experienced backpacker friends. One guy said that 65 miles at 10 miles per day should take six or seven days. Another guy said that I ought to be able to do it in four or five days. So, I packed food for only three days, and I finished the loop in two days. That was 34 miles one day and 31 miles the next day.

I never want to do that again.
LeggettLama
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by LeggettLama »

c9h13no3 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:09 pm Since you live in NorCal, consider the 4 Lakes Loop around Silligo Peak.

Thanks for the tip!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

LeggettLama wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:26 pm
c9h13no3 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:09 pm Since you live in NorCal, consider the 4 Lakes Loop around Silligo Peak.

Thanks for the tip!
I was thinking about the Trinities as well. Canyon Creek and Stuart Fork trails are fairly low-elevation, so they're often accessible in late spring.

Given your location, I assume you've already done the King Range/Lost Coast.