Backpacking SEKI in June

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Backpacking SEKI in June

Post by oldhikerQ »

If you reserve your permit electronically, you should receive your confirmation the same day. At least, that has been the case for me for many years. Don't remember how mail in works, or if that is still an option.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

In june unless you are starting on a Friday or Saturday of a Holiday weekend I would not worry about reservation If you were to start from Sunset meadow and take the Belle Canyon entrance. One thing to remember about that entrance is that you have to pick up your permit in Grant Grove, about 45 minutes from the TH.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
stringbop
Topix Acquainted

Post by stringbop »

You hear back from the parks 2-3 weeks after you submit your application on March 1st. When I submitted my application on March 1st I got an answer on March 12th....
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

I second Old Ranger's suggestion to do the "red loop", but start at Rowell Meadow trailhead rather than Lodgepole. My wife and I did that loop starting at Rowell Meadow trailhead in only 2 nights with no problem - and we were in our 60s.
-Phil
dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dustybottoms21 »

Ok so i'm less concerned about it needing to be in early to mid June, and can push it back to July which seems to open up quite a few more options and has the potential for far fewer mosquitos. Or so that's what the google tells me

I put together a few more options but will only post one at a time until I figure out how to place images properly on this site.

Thoughts about this route that starts at Road's End and camp the first night somewhere short of Granite Lake...too much climb to get there in one day. Then from Granite Lake we would x-country hike over to kennedy canyon trail and hit the lakes in between, before shooting south on lewis creek trail and over Kings Canyon to complete the loop. Does this x-country look doable? Keep in mind that myself and my buddy do not have a whole lot of experience off trail, only some. The terrain doesn't look too terrible (says the novice) and I figure the lakes and streams in this area would be good points of geography to help us navigate
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

5 things about your new route.

Not sure that the off trail route is as easy as you may think. there are people on this forum more familiar with the area than I am but looking at the map and satellite view it looks extremely demanding to me.

The area from Kennedy Pass down to Cedar Grove has experienced several fires and not sure how pleasant the down hill would be.

Not as easy to get permit as Sunset Meadow/Belle Canyon entrance.

The vertical is much more demanding than the other loop.

Either you need a shuttle, hitch a ride, or long walk thru a usually quite hot Cedar Grove to complete the loop.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

dustybottoms21 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:12 amThoughts about this route that starts at Road's End
Looks fine. Leor Pantilat & Will Mollandsimms have good info on the area (I hate the word "beta"). They rate the "pass" between East Kennedy Lake & Volcanic Lakes as class 2. It's a good spot for the early season, since the road is well maintained, the south facing slope will be snow free quickly, and there's no major creeks to cross.

Here's a "teach a man to fish" moment. Learn to use Caltopo. Specifically for cross country passes that don't have a lot of info on them, the "slope angle shading" feature can be helpful. It colors steep sections. So if you use it, and keep your route to the white & light yellow sections, it should stay class 1-2. You might encounter a hidden cliff that's not on the topo, but usually you can find your way around it.
SlopeAngle.PNG
Cross country travel is quite a bit slower, so keep that in mind. In general, you'll hike about 1 mile per hour cross country, as a good rule of thumb. You have to stop to navigate more, test boulders to see if they move before you weight them, ect. ect. So be ready for that.

Also, it's pretty easy to add some cross country travel to the trip you had planned before. The sheep camp lakes have no trail going to them, and Mt. Silliman is a class 2 climb from Silliman Lake. And if this is your first time off trail in the Sierras, it'd be good to do it as a day hike first. Balance & climbing get a lot harder with a heavy pack on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Flamingo »

Hi @dustybottoms21, I'm a big fan of the first route you posted, crossing the Kaweah Divide and Silliman Crest;.

Thoughts on your first route:
* There's tons of great campsites along this route, both at major destinations (like Ranger Lake), but also along the way at random meadows and glens. You'll likely encounter other groups on this trip, but you can assuredly find your own space and get a sense of wilderness.
* I strongly suggest you add a side trip up Mitchell Peak. You'd be a fool to skip it! It's an easy walk-up on the trail, and the summit view is outrageous. Look for summit images on Google, or PM me for more information.
* As others have mentioned, I would skip the yellow part of your loop. Weaver Lake can be a zoo. . . with dogs!
* The northeast part of this loop is delightful, through Belle Canyon, Lost Lake, and Ranger Lake.
* I agree with the suggestion to start at Rowell Meadow trailhead, if your car can handle it. There's fantastic meadow campsites in the areas around Rowell Creeks and Gannon Creeks; this area makes for a great first day destination.
* Even with snow, you could possibly tackle this route in late June if you bring microspikes to cross Silliman Pass.

Thoughts on your 2nd route:
* The Lewis Creek trail is exposed and hot. In my experience, it's not fun ascending, and I would advise against starting in this direction.
* The Copper Creek trail is very steep. Depending on your fitness level, it's a brutal way to begin a trip.
* Along the Copper Creek Trail, there's virtually no camping options except at Tent Meadow. In my experience, many people pile up here, especially groups that couldn't get permits for the Rae Lakes Loop, so they hike up Copper Creek as a sort of "Plan B". Overall, the Copper Creek trail is scenic, but don't count on finding solitude camping.
* If you're determined to go this direction, I would suggest an alternate route... go read about the "Sierra High Route." You could start and finish at Roads End. At the top of Copper Creek, you cut cross-country north to Grouse Lake, then cross-country to State Lakes. You could then loop back on-trail to Granite Pass and return to Roads End.

I hope this advice helps :)
Last edited by Flamingo on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

As of 2 summers ago there was nothing about the route to Sunset Meadow TH that would be difficult for a Prius.
Mike

bbayley80
Topix Regular

Post by bbayley80 »

dustybottoms21 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:12 am Thanks. How long before I hear back from the park on my permits? I plan to submit on March 1st
I looked back at my inbox from this year- and found my two permit apps I sent in 3/1 were approved 3/6 and 3/8 respectively.