Backpacking SEKI in June

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Backpacking SEKI in June

Post by c9h13no3 »

Dashielle wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:57 pm I've got a 2 week trip out of the Mineral King trailhead starting on June 29th... anyone have any info or advice? We're heading up through bearpaw and over Elizabeth, then from Roaring River up Colby pass and down to the Kern, by the hot springs and back up to Morraine lake, Big Five and out over Sawtooth on the 13th of July. Everyone's got microspikes but I'm just wondering if any of you have any concern about this route at this time of year? Where are the problem spots you'd be thinking of?
Problem spots: Anything above snow line which is like, your whole route. And forget about crossing the Kern river...

People on this forum tend to give advice that skews conservative. But that trip sounds like hell.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dustybottoms21 »

Looks like the SEKI nps site is finally starting to add some updates to their “current conditions” page. Still nothing new on Jennie Lakes, Ranger, Seville. Hopefully soon.

https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/trailcond.htm
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maiathebee »

Douglas wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:43 pm Great thread! -- I have a Rae Lakes permit for June 24th and keeping a close eye (here, reddit, instagram, etc) on river crossing conditions while planning some potential Plan B and C options like others.
You should definitely reconsider this. From Seki NP:
Woods Creek, Bubbs Creek, and Glen Pass (Rae Lakes Loop)
5/23 -The bridge over South Fork Kings River above Paradise Valley is washed out. Expect impassable or extremely hazardous conditions. The designated camp sites in Lower Paradise Valley, along the South Fork of the Kings River, are temporarily closed to all camping.This closure will remain in effect until camping sites can be inspected and known hazard trees removed. Snowline is between 7000-8000 ft elevation. Many creeks are running high. Please use caution as water is swift and cold from snow runoff.

6/12 - Bubbs Creek crossing at Bailey Bridge: There is a 10ft wide/4 ft deep section of swiftwater just South of the 2 Bubbs Creek Bridges (on the Cedar side of the crossing, ~2 mi from Roads End) that are not passable. The crossing is not safe not advised. Charlotte Creek: Water is fairly high but crossing is passable by a good log bridge or a ~6ft section of wading.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
Douglas
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Douglas »

Wow, still so much snow that not even the camp sites are open yet. I am definitely reconsidering and doing some research on the hike that AlmostThere suggested (thx, by the way!). I saw some photos on instagram of hikers going over Glen Pass and Kearsarge Lakes earlier this week that look like some pretty steep and snowy cuts up the pass in both places - extremely beautiful in the snow nonetheless.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Mon May 04, 2020 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Even better if one likes an easy effort is Kibbie Lake.
dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dustybottoms21 »

That lake looks spectacular but I think we’re going to stick with Hetch Hetchy and work our way up to Lake Vernon with a day or two exploring the area, fishing, and straddling Falls Creek for a little while.

Just got done testing my new Hennessy Hammock. I’m gonna sleep like a dream up there...assuming we can find enough trees! Lots of granite with very few trees in a lot of pics I’ve seen of the area.
Douglas
Topix Novice

Post by Douglas »

Per AlmostThere's recommendation and weighing a few other options, we've decided to go for a 4-5 day in/out on the JMT from Florence Lake to Evolution Valley and making Muir Pass (Muir hut) our turn around goal. It looks like the proper balance of challenge through the current conditions while experiencing a great stretch of wilderness with manageable river crossings, and without risking the icy pass ascents/descents of the higher elevation routes. Starting on Monday 06/24 and taking our time. I'll report back after. Any tips from hikers who have passed through this area recently are greatly appreciated! First step is getting a walk-up permit next Monday morning.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Douglas wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:52 am Per AlmostThere's recommendation and weighing a few other options, we've decided to go for a 4-5 day in/out on the JMT from Florence Lake to Evolution Valley and making Muir Pass (Muir hut) our turn around goal. It looks like the proper balance of challenge through the current conditions while experiencing a great stretch of wilderness with manageable river crossings, and without risking the icy pass ascents/descents of the higher elevation routes. Starting on Monday 06/24 and taking our time. I'll report back after. Any tips from hikers who have passed through this area recently are greatly appreciated! First step is getting a walk-up permit next Monday morning.
If you see trees in the trail bring me back pics and UTM coords - we're taking a crew out in a few weeks and would appreciate the intel.

Have a great time. That's one of my favorite areas.
Douglas
Topix Novice

Post by Douglas »

Will do. Looking forward to it!