Backpacking SEKI in June

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Backpacking SEKI in June

Post by dustybottoms21 »

Thanks. I think I got it. Maybe. When I submit my permits using this website...https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/ ... mail-2.pdf

...I'll choose my dates and likely go with Belle Canyon or Sugarloaf. We still plan to start at Rowell Meadow due to mileage preferences. We're likely going to stick around all the lakes stretching from Seville to Beville. We might head over Skillman Pass to twin lakes but that will depend on the weather.

So based on that, am I good with Belle Canyon or Sugarloaf as my entry and exit points? Sorry for all the questions. I just don't want to F*CK this up.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

You could use the different options as backup plans. I usually do a couple of dates with multiple options and get my first choice.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Just reviewed snowfall records for the years I was backcountry ranger in Roaring river drainage. The only years I was unable to get into Roaring River/Sugarloaf/ranger lakes on foot by June 1 were years where Mammoth Mt recorded over 400 inches of snow. If the gates along the big meadow road are unlocked You should have no trouble hiking into ranger lakes by mid-June if snow fall total at Mammoth Main lodge is less than 400 inches for the season. If over 500 inches best wait until July!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted

Post by dustybottoms21 »

Right now they're getting well above the average for this time of year. If this continues, my early/mid June trip could be in jeopardy for starting at Rowell Meadow.

I think right now plan B is going to be Emigrant Wilderness doing some type of loop from Crabtree. With the lower elevation I'm hoping early June won't be a problem. And getting a permit is a piece of cake. What does have me a little worried is the creek crossings. It sounds like I could be dealing with some swift moving waters. Does anyone know the approx mileage to the first potentially dangerous crossing? Do you know approx. how many crossings there would be on the upper trail from Crabtree to Buck Lakes?
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

Are you sure you're a level 3 backpacker?
dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted

Post by dustybottoms21 »

2.5. I rounded up
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

dustybottoms21 wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:58 pmWhat does have me a little worried is the creek crossings.
Read this. If you’re taking early season trips, you should learn early season skills.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted

Post by dustybottoms21 »

Thanks
dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted

Post by dustybottoms21 »

We're coming down the homestretch for permit submittals and so far things are not looking too good given the current snowfall levels

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snowapp/sweq.action

We're still going to submit for early/mid June and hope we can stick with our original plan of starting at Rowell Meadow and hiking/fishing everything between there and Beville Lake.

In the event there's still too much snow in mid-June, plan B is going to be Emigrant Wilderness and doing a loop from the Crabtree TH. But should we be worrying about too much snow here as well? I know the season is far from over but so far it looks like it's going to be a pretty wet year.

We're starting to wonder if we need a plan C as well especially leading into permit season?
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Mon May 04, 2020 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.