Upper Merced Canyon

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jgaffney
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Upper Merced Canyon

Post by jgaffney »

I did a search here and didn't find any trip reports on this, so I apologize if I missed something.

I'm planning a trip for next August in Yosemite. I'd like to start at Glacier Point, hike through Little Yosemite Valley, fish at Washburn Lake, then make the loop to the head of the canyon and back down on the north rim. The first night would be just east of LYV, the second night at Washburn Lake, the third night near Foerster Lake, and the fourth night in Echo Valley. I would come out at Happy Isles to meet my (non-backpacking) wife who's coming in on Amtrak. A couple of questions:

I have heard about wilderness permits that have the first night "through LYV." What does that mean? How far east do I have to go before I'm OK?

Anybody have a favorite campsite at Washburn Lake? How about Foerster Lake? Anything else to watch out for?

Thanks for your help.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Upper Merced Canyon

Post by bobby49 »

You might find good fishing at two spots, the outlet and the inlet of Washburn Lake. At least that is where I remember watching fish. Also, there is a small wooden foot bridge farther north in the upper Merced Canyon. More fish.

Getting from there up to the High Trail will be a lot of work.
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

That's usually a pretty popular permit, because of those hoping to do the JMT. You might look at starting at Glacier Point, heading up Illilouette past Lower Ottoway lake and over Red Peak Pass, and then down to Washburn lake and out through LYV.
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I do not think a permit from Glacier Point -pass-through LYV would be that hard to get, because JMT hikers do not go up the Merced after LYV. There is really nice camping NE of Bunnell Point, just north of the footbridge. A fire has burned much of the area in LYV and Lost Valley- which actually now has better views of the surrounding cliffs, but pretty ugly camping. Camping in Echo Valley is woodsy, if you prefer more open views, there are some small campsites at about 7100 just east of Echo Valley. I am not sure what you are calling "Forrester Lake" or the "north rim". I have always thought the north rim referred to north of Tenaya Creek. Are you referring to the trail up on the bench NE of Washburn Lake? If this is the case, a side trip up Hutchings Creek is well worth the effort, if you have time.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:27 am Are you referring to the trail up on the bench NE of Washburn Lake?
I believe that is called the High Trail. Although it is a route up to Isberg Pass, I doubt that it sees a lot of foot traffic.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Ah, my backyard...
I like robow8's suggestion of changing up the route some - especially if fishing.
Start Mono Meadows (not GP) ($25 morning bus from Valley) and two days to Lower Ottoway - good!
Over Red Peak Pass and, overnight tarn just below Edna...day hike and spend one day up there - hint...real good!
Triple Peak Fork down to trail junction and up high trail, ... a slog but nice sites just at the outlet...'Bows and Brookies...and eventually make your way down to Washburn. I like the sites north side there about 1/8 mile up from outlet...Fish anywhere that's deep. You got to swim over at the outlet to reach it but south side (two big obvious rocks) has a few productive holes.
Down home following the Merced trail to HI. BTW, Moraine Dome waterslide campsite preferred over anything at Echo.

BTW, if firm on doing that initial LYV thing and you get a "Pass Through" permit....2 miles level hiking (but recently burned-out section) up past LYV following the Merced to Moraine Dome waterslide - posted/ the first legal camping upriver from LYV.

To add...some relevant pictures -http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... ite+5+slam
mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I agree with Markskor about Mono Meadows and Illilouette Canyon. And Lower Ottoway is one of our all time favorite spots. Far fewer people on this route, and nice change from the lakes in Merced Canyon
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

On my last trip to Lower Ottoway Lake, I did not see a single person on the trail, in or out. Besides, if you get above there near Red Peak Pass, there are some cute pikas that will pose for photos.
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

There are two types of LYV pass-thru permits, so Daisy is right, the one you want shouldn't be so hard to come by. The JMT people want a Sunrise Creek, but for the upper Merced Valley, you want a Merced Lake>LYV pass-thru. First night must be beyond LYV, so no closer beyond the campground than 2 miles out, at the base of Moraine Dome. There are some sites there, but as Mark says, it's clearly signed. The sites at the footbridges above Bunnell Cascade are better than Hidden Valley and Echo Valley. Beyond that, it's either the backpacker's area at Merced Lake or push on to Washburn.

I would agree with Robow8 in that it's better to come in from Glacier Point or Mono Meadow trailheads, up the Illilouette drainage, lower Ottoway, over Red Peak Pass, then back down the Merced. I just like it better, and if you're going to the effort to climb up, might as well take in the best of it that's up higher.
Last edited by mrphil on Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.