Anything Else I Can't Miss?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Anything Else I Can't Miss?

Post by LMBSGV »

There's a Bear box at Buck Creek, which, to me, is the best place to camp on the HST until past Bearpaw.

Also, I suggest camping at Big Wet Meadow instead of Roaring River if you can manage the extra miles the next day to Tamarack Lake. The campsite view at Big Wet Meadow of the Whaleback is fabulous versus the wooded campsites at Roaring River.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

LMBSGV wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:42 am There's a Bear box at Buck Creek, which, to me, is the best place to camp on the HST until past Bearpaw.

Also, I suggest camping at Big Wet Meadow instead of Roaring River if you can manage the extra miles the next day to Tamarack Lake. The campsite view at Big Wet Meadow of the Whaleback is fabulous versus the wooded campsites at Roaring River.
Thanks for the info on the bear box. I was hoping to make it that far on Day 1 but I wasn't sure if there was a bear box there, as I didn't remember one from when I passed through there two years ago. But that was 9 AM or so, and I wasn't looking for a place to camp. Mehrten Creek was a fall back option. And thanks for the suggestion of Big Wet Meadow. I guess the name kind of frightened me off; I read it as Big Mosquito and Condensation Meadow ;) . The more research that I do, the more excited I am about this hike. Just 27 more weeks.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Lumbergh21 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:50 pm Thanks for the info on the bear box. I was hoping to make it that far on Day 1 but I wasn't sure if there was a bear box there, as I didn't remember one from when I passed through there two years ago.
The Buck Creek bear box is west of the creek, south of the trail.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

maiathebee wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:51 pm
Lumbergh21 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:50 pm Thanks for the info on the bear box. I was hoping to make it that far on Day 1 but I wasn't sure if there was a bear box there, as I didn't remember one from when I passed through there two years ago.
It was almost invisible at the last time that I passed there. You had to know where it was supposed to be.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

bobby49 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:30 pm
maiathebee wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:51 pm
It was almost invisible at the last time that I passed there. You had to know where it was supposed to be.
Thanks to both of you for the info.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

When I went in 2015, there was also a bear box at what is called Nine Mile Creek (no name on the creek on the map). Nice campsites are uphill from the trail, with room for two tents. I think the bear boxes were nearer the trail. I think it is the next creek east of the creek from Alta Meadows. Just keep and eye out for a bear box.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Yes, the bear box mentioned by Wandering Daisy was still there at Nine Mile Creek when I walked through in July 2018, and I had no problem finding the bear box at Buck Creek on that same trip. It was along an obvious little path that led from the main trail to a couple of tent sites.
-Phil
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

Did you have a chance on your last trip to check out Little Five Lakes?

If not, personally I'd go to Little Five instead of Big Five Lakes. The former basin has some very pretty lakes. The latter was fine but not really too memorable a basin for me.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I plan on visiting both, Little Five on the way to Big Five.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Regarding the discussion of SSSdave and Lumbergh21 on styles of enjoying the mountains:

Is there a right way to make love? Slow? Fast? Eyes open? Eyes closed? Naked? Clothes on? If you're enjoying it, I'd say you're doing it right.