High elevations and Bears in the Sierra

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: High elevations and Bears in the Sierra

Post by TurboHike »

AlmostThere wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:02 am Acres of toilet paper.
Sounds smelly. Where? Whitney zone?
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

TurboHike wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:06 pm
I don't know about acres, but I saw quite a bit along Cold Creek just upstream from where the Fish Creek Trail crosses it. No where near Trail Camp levels on Whitney though. That's 3rd world squalor levels there.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Lumbergh21 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:12 pm
TurboHike wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:06 pm
I don't know about acres, but I saw quite a bit along Cold Creek just upstream from where the Fish Creek Trail crosses it. No where near Trail Camp levels on Whitney though. That's 3rd world squalor levels there.
Nope. I do trail crew in the Sierra National Forest. Trust me, there is plenty of trash and poo to keep us busy.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Daisy writes:
Seriously, an old friend of mine, who is a biologist, was the author of a book on "scat" back in the 70's. He did the photography himself. It was a field guide to Sh**! He did not get rich off it. LOL.
Thanks for all the bear notes. Since I see people with an appreciation of bear scat, and a sense of humor, I will lateral off to a brief section of the long Andrew Skurka video of his Alaska-Canada thousands of miles journey, which I had earlier placed in the Beyond the Sierra section, and titled: "Andrew Skurka's Alaska Trip."

The Section of his video that contains a very funny bear story along with some film, is within the youtube attachment below, and begins at about 13.50 minutes into the video. It runs for a few minutes- please stick it out till the "bitter cherry end." [actually, it would be soapberries up there.)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMf7TypZwtc
Last edited by Harlen on Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

He's laughing on the video. but you can also see the fear and excitement he experienced.

BTW, it's 13.50 MINUTES in.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey Paul, et al.

Thanks for the time correction. It is a delightful scene isn't it? Do you suppose that at least some of these encounters are fun for the bears too? I love to think that bears sometimes charge at us just to watch us jump up and down, and to hear us shriek!

I believe that they do know how to have fun. I once watched 3 grizzlies (Mom and her second year cubs) in Alaska sliding down a snowfield on their rumps and backs- seemingly for the sheer fun of it. And we once watched a Mother bear and her 3 spring cubs seemingly rolling and bounding downhill through the chinquapin shrubbery that coats the south slope of Mount Bago above Junction Meadow. That time it also looked like pure fun! Who knows?
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I'm sure bears do things for the fun of it. I mean we see dogs, foxes, coyotes, wolves, etc playing. Why not bears?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

There are many videos on youtube of bears playing, in hammocks, on porches, in water... I think they are probably much more intelligent than most animals.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

When I initiated this post a little over a year ago, I never thought I would be the one who would add to it.
I was just curious more than anything, and I had fun reading responses. I confess I sometimes am a little bit "sloppy" when camped above treeline also.

But in a trip in Kings Canyon in October, I saw a bear at 11,100 feet, above treeline. ( I posted a picture in the TR I did). But I thought I would add here for the post. This is now the highest I have seen in my 50 years more or less .

While it was at 11000 feet, it seemed like he was coming down from a pass as well . That pass would have been over 12000 feet. My impression is that he might have been migrating from one area to another as the season was changing...I am not sure though.
0-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Are bears territorial? Perhaps he was being booted out by a bigger alpha bear.