TR:Long Lake/Miter Basin/Mt Langley summit 8/15-18 2018

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gardn128
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: TR:Long Lake/Miter Basin/Mt Langley summit 8/15-18 2018

Post by gardn128 »

Great trip report. I attempted Mt Langley 2 years ago via Old Army Pass in July as it was a heavy snowpack that season. I was told that New Army Pass is shorter and better if there is no snow, but Old Army Pass is a safer bet to be snow free.

I see from your pictures that even this past August New Army Pass had snow. Is that normal throughout the summer? Do people recommend taking Old rather than New? My wife and I don't really have any experience in snow and ice so prefer to take dry land as much as possible. Thanks.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

Old Army Pass is north-facing, so it tends to hold snow later into the summer than New Army Pass. New Army Pass is south-facing, so the sun tends to melt out the snow... except for right near the top. There the wind blowing from the west can keep the top frozen into a cornice. Old Army is not maintained, so it gets boulders sliding down across it and similar obstacles. New Army was more recently constructed, so its grading tends to be more uniform. New Army is 300 feet higher than Old Army, and that means more work for the hiker.

If I had to go up Old Army, I would have a minimum of two ski poles or maybe a small ice axe. If I had to go up New Army, I would have a minimum of one ski pole plus something in the event of the top cornice. Updated conditions reports will help you make the best decision. I mention ski poles since they have larger baskets on them for snow. Trekking poles have tiny baskets, but they can be retrofitted for snow.

I guess the smart thing to do would be to go one way up and then go the other way back down.
bbayley80
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bbayley80 »

Gardn128.
thanks! glad you enjoyed it.
to your questions on the passes-bobby49 pretty much explained a good amount of it. wandering daisy posted a great photo of her encounter with NAP's cornice/icy upper reaches in this same thread too.
both are fairly straightforward passes. NAP is definitely in better shape-as OAP is unmaintained. there was a big slide many years ago on the upper portion of OAP that when covered with snow presents a bit of a challenge. other than than it is pretty 'easy'

the snow you see in my picture was nowhere near the trail FYI-it was totally clear and dry.
if I'd offer any advice I would recommend doing two things. one. take OAP- more direct, and you do not have to climb the extra 400' of NAP only to drop right down to the top of Old Army to link into the use trail for Langley. save some energy. two. go later season. less bugs. people. easier permits-although Cottonwood Lakes is maybe the easiest permit to obtain- less snow.

hope that helps? enjoy!
gardn128
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by gardn128 »

Thanks again for all the insight, very helpful. I have one last question for those with experience going up New Army Pass. Last time we did it we camped at Long Lake rather than High Lake. If my memory serves me correctly, it's better to camp at Long Lake because it's lower and safer from wind and lightning exposure, is that correct? Ideally, I'd like to camp as close as possible to the pass to make summit day shorter, but I think in this case Long Lake is the better option, is that correct? Thanks.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It is only 3/4 mile and 350 feet between Long Lake and High Lake. You are only talking an hour max difference. I would camp at Long and just get going an hour earlier, unless you particularly prefer the scenery at High Lake. The entire elevation gain from Long Lake is only 1150 feet. Nothing like trying to get a "leg up" on a big pass like Taboose.
bbayley80
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bbayley80 »

Gardn128
I would recommend Long Lake as well. a lot more space an site options(as I recall as we passed it, High Lake had only a few spots-right on the water that were not legal. in fact I think there may be a sign too saying as much? )

another option would be to camp in between the lakes.
once I made camp at Long I hiked up to High to check it out in the late afternoon and there where many ok spots off trail on the left side. most of which were occupied.
it would not be very sheltered on that big bench, but an option none the less.

I'd vote Long though for sure.