torn between two thoughts.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
esrice
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: torn between two thoughts.

Post by esrice »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:08 pm Marie Lake is wonderful.
Seconded. Perhaps my favorite lake on the JMT.
bbayley80
Topix Regular

Post by bbayley80 »

Esrice.
yes! it looks amazing.
I have finally made up my mind and am going to revisit Bear Lakes Basin. adding a bit more off-trail spice by going over Seven Gables Pass from Medley Lake. I will return by taking the East Fork of Bear Creek down to the JMT from Vee Lake after a few days in the basin. get to pass Marie twice! along two shores
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maiathebee »

Ha! I'm planning a trip to Bear Lakes Basin this summer. I'm going in via Piute, down the canyon then up to Merriam, over to the basin before swinging around over Italy Pass back to Royce Lakes, then over Puppet Pass to Humphreys and out. I can DEFINITELY see the draw of that area! I think my trip to Tablelands / Lonely Lake was just *especially* beautiful because I happened to snag the wildflower bloom at peak. That's super hard to predict, but maybe you know if you will definitely be going *after* the peak (e.g. August / September)...
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
bbayley80
Topix Regular

Post by bbayley80 »

maiathebee wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:01 pm Ha! I'm planning a trip to Bear Lakes Basin this summer. I'm going in via Piute, down the canyon then up to Merriam, over to the basin before swinging around over Italy Pass back to Royce Lakes, then over Puppet Pass to Humphreys and out.

awesome! that will be great. thats pretty close to the loop I made of it, but in the opposite direction and different TH(I started and ended at Pine Creek) Merriam was one of my favorites! nice little sandy beach. inlet stream complete with waterfall..beautiful. I figure you are taking Feather over to BLB? that was a cool pass. amazing views. hitting Julius Caesar from Italy Pass was fun and 'easy' too since you're there :) and Granite Park is gorgeous too.

I remember in your Tablelands report you went from that high lake(11,200 I think?) all the way out to Wolverton.
in your opinion. if I had a three day window in early October-would it be worthwhile to jam out to that lake for a few nights. explore on a zero day and return? the hike out to Pear is something I've done so many times on a day hike and it doesn't look completely out of the question to push up and out to 11200. in my mind. obviously reality and Sierra terrain is another thing haha.. id appreciate any input.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Esrice.
yes! it looks amazing.
I have finally made up my mind and am going to revisit Bear Lakes Basin. adding a bit more off-trail spice by going over Seven Gables Pass from Medley Lake. I will return by taking the East Fork of Bear Creek down to the JMT from Vee Lake after a few days in the basin. get to pass Marie twice! along two shores
Yes, that whole area is very pretty, but don't leave out the gem in that area, Orchid Lake, from the mix, it has outstanding views of Seven Gables and back towards Feather Peak areas. :nod:

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

bbayley80 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:56 pm I remember in your Tablelands report you went from that high lake(11,200 I think?) all the way out to Wolverton.
in your opinion. if I had a three day window in early October-would it be worthwhile to jam out to that lake for a few nights. explore on a zero day and return? the hike out to Pear is something I've done so many times on a day hike and it doesn't look completely out of the question to push up and out to 11200. in my mind. obviously reality and Sierra terrain is another thing haha.. id appreciate any input.
I did go all the way from Lake 11,200 to Wolverton, and while an out and back with a zero day would be doable, I'm not sure I'd do that. I think I might instead do Wolverton --> Alta Meadow or Moose --> Lake 11,200 --> Wolverton, camping at either Alta Meadow or Moose Lake and then taking the second day to pick across the Tablelands to Lake 11,200 and then head back out on the third day via Pear Lake.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

I agree with maiathebee: Alta Meadow and Moose Lake are awesome. Here are a couple of photos. - Phil
P1030686+sunset color on KaweahPeaks+GreatWesternDivide over AltaMeadow.jpg
P1030738+early morning, GreatWesternDivide over MooseLake.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bbayley80
Topix Regular

Post by bbayley80 »

maiathebee wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:14 pm I think I might instead do Wolverton --> Alta Meadow or Moose --> Lake 11,200 --> Wolverton, camping at either Alta Meadow or Moose Lake and then taking the second day to pick across the Tablelands to Lake 11,200 and then head back out on the third day via Pear Lake.
ok. great. that does sound better. loop trumps out and back :) thank you
bbayley80
Topix Regular

Post by bbayley80 »

Maverick.
thanks for that tip! and those shots!!... incredible.
bbayley80
Topix Regular

Post by bbayley80 »

Phil/wildhiker
thanks for sharing those great pics!
I've day hiked out to Pear and Alta Meadow bunches of times- it only makes sense to connect the two via the loop you and Maiathebee lay out here. thanks again!