Mountain lions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hiac
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mountain lions

Post by hiac »

I backpacked in skyline trail in jasper a few years back. I didn't see it, but two hikers behind me (30 minutes) said they saw it. I guess it saw me while I walked back.
Crosswise
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by Crosswise »

Thanks Phoenix2000 for your valuable reply.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Yakov38M wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:25 am And what kind of tools would you recommend to chase away mountain lions? Bear mace? Torches? Being loud and waving a stick? I've asked a couple friends, who say they just carry a gun with them. No matter what my opinions about guns are, I'm not an US citizen so it's not an option for me.
I carry nothing, will carry nothing, and need nothing.
Literally, they are the last thing you need to worry about.
The attacks that happen are generally people running or biking, either unaware of the lion or actively running from it.
Guns are useless against a predator that is as stealthy as a mountain lion - if it wants to not be seen you will not see it. Odds are good every one of us has been watched by one.
And you are still far, far more at risk from car accidents on the way to trailheads, statistically speaking. In the past century there are fewer than 20 deaths recorded due to mountain lions in California. Far fewer than have been killed by domesticated dogs. Deer kill hundreds of people per year in the US.
I consider myself fortunate to have seen one, ever, because you just don't.
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

AlmostThere wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:52 am I consider myself fortunate to have seen one, ever, because you just don't.
I agree. I feel blessed to have actually seen one up close and in action.

The one that ran through my camp last summer was moving so fast you wouldn't have time to raise a weapon. Just be happy we're not on their main menu.

John
Npike
Topix Acquainted

Post by Npike »

While we’re on the subject, just found this article about a man that killed a mountain lion in self defense in Colorado.

https://www.backpacker.com/news-and-eve ... ntain-lion
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Mountain Lion Attacks Trail Runner in Colorado

Post by maverick »

Backpacker:
A Colorado runner killed a mountain lion in self-defense and hiked to safety after the animal attacked him on a trail near Fort Collins, the Colorado Department of Parks and Wildlife confirmed on Monday.

In a press release, the department said the man, whose identity has not been released, was running on the West Ridge Trail in Horsetooth Mountain Open Space when the encounter occurred.

"The victim of the attack described hearing something behind him on the trail and was attacked by a mountain lion as he turned around to investigate," the agency said. "The lion lunged at the runner, biting his face and wrist. He was able to fight and break free from the lion, killing the lion in self-defense. The runner sustained serious, but non-life threatening injuries as a result of the attack."

Shortly after the attack, rangers searching the trail found the body of a juvenile mountain lion, near a pile of the man's possessions that he had told them to look out for.

After examining the animal's body, the department tweeted it had "confirmed the victim's account that he was able to suffocate the animal while defending himself from the attack."

According to the Denver Post, the man, said to be in his 30s, survived by hitting the cat with a rock and then choking it to death.

The Larimer County Department of Natural Resources, which manages Horsetooth Mountain, said on Tuesday that it would temporarily close the area out of "an abundance of caution" after briefly reopening it on Monday evening.

"The safety of our visitors is paramount," Ken Brink Jr., the county's visitor services manager, said in a statement. "We'll reopen Horsetooth Mountain when we’ve had more time to assess mountain lion activity in the area with our partners at CPW."

Horsetooth Mountain Open Space covers 2,711 acres minutes from downtown Fort Collins, and its 29 miles of trail are popular with both visitors, who come to summit the eponymous mountain, and local runners and hikers.

Adult mountain lions can grow up to eight feet long and weigh 150 pounds. People who have suffered an attack from one have said it "feels something like getting hit by a bus." (As a juvenile, the animal involved in Monday's incident was likely half that size or smaller.)

If you're hiking or running in mountain lion country, take appropriate precautions:

-Don't go alone. The vast majority of attacks are on solo hikers, as cougars are skittish and tend to avoid groups.

-If you encounter a mountain lion, don't run. Stand your ground and attempt to make yourself look as big as possible.

-Shout and make eye contact to scare the mountain lion off.

-If attacked, try to stay on your feet. Fight back with whatever you can reach without bending over or turning your back. People have successfully fended off mountain lions with jackets, rocks, sticks, water bottles, and their fists.
https://www.backpacker.com/news-and-eve ... ntain-lion
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Dragonfly
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Dragonfly »

The unnamed man who killed the cougar is out of the hospital, doing well and still unnamed. The young cat was estimated to weigh around 80 pounds.

In other news, I am insanely jealous of you all. Despite years of tracking them in the Rockies, Moab, Yellowstone and Sequoia-Kings NPs, running across their kills, and seeing a vaguely cougar-esque shape fleeing through the brush near Shepherd's Saddle over the North Fork of the Kaweah one spring, I have never laid eyes on an unequivocal wild cougar. (Well...not a live one, at least.)

Have enjoyed the beautiful tracks and sign our local female has laid down on the Shepherd's Saddle Road over the years, though.

large.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

2016-03-02 fb2.jpg

2 of 3 yearling cubs Rock Creek Canyon March 2016
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Great Pic!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

hikerchick395 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:09 pm 2016-03-02 fb2.jpg

2 of 3 yearling cubs Rock Creek Canyon March 2016
Those are some gorgeous cats! Great photo.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;