Help with planning an Emigrant Wilderness trip.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Help with planning an Emigrant Wilderness trip.

Post by gary c. »

Thanks everyone I really appreciate your input. I still haven't done any more work with the TOPO yet but you guys have pretty much changed the way I'm looking at the entire trip. Depending on how it looks after mapping it out I'm thinking Kennedy Meadows up Summit Creek to the Emigrant Lakes. The Buck Lake to Deer Lake/Long Lake to Relief Creek and the trail head. I do like the idea of WD's shortcut also though.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
justm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Help with planning an Emigrant Wilderness trip.

Post by justm »

Glad to help. Thats a great trip you've chosen. I did it myself a few years ago. One word of caution, if you do this trip early in the spring, there could be a dangerous creek crossing at the end of your trip , where lower relief creek meets summit creek. I barely made the extremely, dangerous crossing, waste deep , powerful water flow. It all depends on our snow amounts and run off times.