Trip Plan Advice: Sierra Backpacking Trip Early July

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
eir0j
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Trip Plan Advice: Sierra Backpacking Trip Early July

Post by eir0j »

Hi there!

I'm trying to plan a 2 night backpacking trip for early July in the Sierra. I've already done Rae Lakes, North Lake to South Lake, up and over Kearsarge, Langley via New Army, and much of the PCT/JMT in Yosemite. I was thinking Forester to Whitney, but I think it will be too early in the season given the snow pack this year.

Any thoughts welcomed! Thank you in advance.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Plan Advice: Sierra Backpacking Trip Early July

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am confused about what you mean "Forrester to Whitney" as a 2 night/3 day trip. That must mean Onion Valle to Whitney Portal TH's. IF so, that is a LOT of miles and elevation gain each day! Am I correct in assuming you want an all-trail trip where you can more fast? Are you interested in slowing down and doing off trail? Can you give more details on what you are looking for? How much snow are you willing to deal with? Are you OK with point-to-point? If so, public transportation between trailheads would limit choices.

Early July is mosquito season and the biggest problem can be river crossings if there are no bridges. Northern Sierra actually melts out later than southern.

As for Desolation, with creativity you can make a 35-45 mile loop and basically see it all. I did a Desolation trip June 6-9 2015 (a very low snow year) with few snow or river crossing issues. However, I did a trip July 12-16 in 2011, a high snow year, and it was nearly solid snow on much of the trip. There is a basic loop through Desolation, and you can enter from many trailheads, so if you are flexible, getting a permit is not that hard. I get a first-come permit and do not reserve. Lots of people cancel the last minute. Plus, that early I doubt every permit space would be taken. If your "style" of backpacking is fast and light, I doubt you would like the area out of Carson Pass.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

If permits are a concern, you should also consider Emigrant Wilderness, just north of Yosemite. No trail quotas, and some of the trailheads are self-register.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The post said "early July", so not necessarily 4th July week. Again, we need exact dates to make recommendations, since the permit issue on holidays is a big factor. Hopefully "eir0j" will get back to us with more information.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Or not, We'll still have fun in July!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963