Crossing Road's End

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Crossing Road's End

Post by balzaccom »

I also think that it is easier if you are a group of one or two, and are clearly hiking seriously. I've had rangers "fit me into" a quota when there really wasn't room, just because he could see we were reasonable and serious about hiking. A large group with a BBQ and a pair of ukuleles strapped on the outside of your pack might have a different experience.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

This thread is an example of the great things that are possible on HST. We came together to answer a question that will benefit everyone.
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted

Post by Saltydog »

Thanks for all the guidance here. As with so many things, the Ranger Way seems to prevail, per OR and George. I did get word back from Three Rivers, and their take is that the exit, resup and continuing south from the other TH is ok, as long as I am not out over night, it will be cool. They sent me the quote from the Compendium about needing a permit to be overnight in wilderness, and then some unquoted language not in the Compendium to the effect that The Park considers spending one night outside wilderness ends the trip and requires a new permit. This last, not in the Compendium, was not quoted and not attributed to any source, and I have not seen it published elsewhere, but I did not press it. So I have a plan based on it and my Yos permit. Exit Copper Creek TH early and go for a next- day walk-in. If available, grab it and overnight in Cedar Grove. If not available, get to Cedar Grove and back same day and continue on my Yos permit.

Interesting note, they do not apply the same interpretation to exiting and reentering on the east side, say Bishop or Kearsarge. Even if you do that and spend the night in Independence or Bishop or Vegas, SEKI defers to Inyo's 24 hour rule. Go figure.

The Ranger I spoke with also said it is ok to hitch hike in SEKI, contrary to other lore I have heard.

And dittos to Rightstar 76 on mutual benefit. Glad this thread is one of those.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maiathebee »

I was looking into a related question and found this on Inyo NF's website:

"You are allowed to exit the wilderness briefly for resupply in Inyo National Forest, as long as you re-enter at the same location within 24 hours to resume your section hike.

Yosemite, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks require you to camp in the wilderness every night (no resupply zero days) for continuous wilderness travel.

Skipping a section, a break in continuous travel, reversing direction or re-entering at a different location requires a new permit."

reference link: https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/inyo/passe ... Mo7aIK9uBQ
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Saltydog, I think the unquoted language is SEKI rangers' discretion i.e. common sense. If you pick up a resupply and have a meal and go back to the trailhead an hour or two later, you'll be fine. Sounds like you're all set. Have a great trip!
Teri
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Teri »

I am doing this same thing this summer, coming thru Roads End on day 9 to pick up a resupply and continue on, and I had the same question. I called the ranger a couple weeks ago and asked. He said as long as I don't spend the night outside the wilderness (ie cannot camp at Cedar Grove that night) then I can continue on with the same initial permit,
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted

Post by Saltydog »

Trying to get the straigh scoop on sending a resup for road's End. Some old posts here say I have to send to Cedar Grove by UPS, someone at Cedar Grove Visitors center said I can send directly by USPS to them by USPS. ANyone know for sure? How did you do it this year?