Crossing Road's End

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Crossing Road's End

Post by Saltydog »

I have a trip planned that requires crossing Road's End and a resupply there. I take it from all the mention of this stop on variations of the BSL that there is no permit problem doing this. Technically, it appears to be leaving wilderness from one trailhead and reentering at another, but I am hoping that SEKI does not treat it this way, and does not require a separate permit to say exit from Granite Pass, resup at Cedar Grove, and continue SoBo to Avalanche Pass and Roaring River. Anyone know for sure? I have searched and inquired of the SEKI Wilderness Office, but no answer. thanks
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Crossing Road's End

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I would think the easiest way to find out is to call the main ranger station at Grant Grove. Anther way to find out is to submit a request to reserve a permit for your trip, specifically showing what you plan. They may reject it.

Not sure how you are planning the resupply. Cedar Grove store is not close to the Granite Pass (Copper Creek) trailhead. Are you leaving your car at Roads End and doing two loops? If so, why not just spend a night and get a shower and relax a bit.

If you need to get a new permit, Copper Creek permits are much easier to get than Bubbs Creek permits, so plan the trip so you come down Sphinx Creek trail to Roads End, and get another permit for going up Copper Creek. Just be aware that they quit giving out new permits in the afternoon (I think 3PM or so).
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted

Post by Saltydog »

AS I posted I am traveling SoBo from Granite Pass and continuing to Avalanche Pass and beyond. This is on a much longer trip from outside SeKi, so a permit application is not going to shake out anything. Resup part of it is easy, at Cedar Grove VC. I just need to know if crossing out of wilderness and back into it requires a new permit at Roads End, and my inquiries to SEKI have not been answered.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

@oldranger can you weigh in on this? Upon leaving trail to resupply at Cedar Grove, does OP have same day return privileges without needing a new permit as with USFS wilderness permits?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

I think I would assume that it would be the same as in Yosemite. The rule in Yosemite is - you reach a road, you cross it and continue on a trail, you are fine. But if you turn and walk along the road, which is technically outside the wilderness, or hitch, or hope on a shuttle, you ended your trip. Going to the visitor center likely forfeits the permit. Putting a resupply in the bear boxes at Copper Creek trailhead and grabbing it on the way by would not.

But, the rangers in SEKI may have a different take, and when the rubber hits the road that's what matters. So I would ask them.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Have e-mailed GD requesting clarification on this, he should chime in shortly, unless he his out of town. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Not sure of the actual reg, but PCT & JMT hikers do that all the time. Assuming your permit shows a start and end point that reasonably includes Cedar somewhere along the line, then hard to imagine you getting hassled.

Have a great trip!
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

I did that one time when walking the Roper High Route. I wanted to leave my car on the east side so I got a permit to enter at Onion Valley and exit at Twin Lakes. I'm pretty sure the quota wouldn't have been filled for the Copper Ck trail but picking up a permit at Roads End is often a time consuming affair. I asked a ranger about what I was doing and the answer was that it was okay in my case.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

rightstar76 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:23 am @oldranger can you weigh in on this? Upon leaving trail to resupply at Cedar Grove, does OP have same day return privileges without needing a new permit as with USFS wilderness permits?
Really don't know what "official" regs are but I agree with George's assessment. There are a few things I was pretty hard nosed about including having a permit. But if entrance and exit, and beginning and ending dates of the permit are outside of the date of re-entering through an intermediate TH I wouldn't quibble with a reentry. But that is just my take.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I also had a permit change while doing the SHR. I reversed the direction of the southern third, so the Grant Grove ranger changed my permit, no charge, even though I stayed out one night, which technically required a new permit. It seemed to me that he could have charged but had the discretion to waive it. I have never met a "hard ass" type ranger in SEKI- all were very helpful and accommodating. Whereas Yosemite gets so much use that the rangers tend to be more sticklers about "rules".