TR: granite lake (emigrant wilderness), june 2-4, 2018

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: granite lake (emigrant wilderness), june 2-4, 2018

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Here is a photo of Lewis Lakes 6/1 2014, a low snow year. Summit Creek was only knee deep. Lewis Lakes are on the shady side of the mountain and hold snow and ice-off later. Snow on that trip was very patchy. The rock slabs that I descended from upper Lewis Lake were totally dry.

On the 2014 trip, some areas had no mosquitoes, some did, nothing really bad. I find early July the worst for mosquitoes- by that time they are at all elevations.
8004_ULewis_Lk_edited-1.jpg
8011_Lewis_Lk_edited-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by frozenintime »

thanks for the photos! good to hear about the slabs melting out early. we had zero mosquitos last year in the first few days of june, with the exception of a few tiny, non-biting ones at the trail crossing of piute creek.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

frozenintime wrote:

...it was smooth sailing on game trails and easy terrain until the 'keyhole' where the canyon narrows.
internet voices said that we should head northwest, but that way looked steep and absolutely choked with tall brush. (perhaps we were already further west than the internet expected us to be?) instead we ascended a huge, beautiful slab closer to the creek. as it leveled out, this perfect granite highway turned southwest, leading us directly to the top of the prominence (~8150 ft), with great views south

I'm glad you decided to write up your nice trip. The photos are all good, but the 4th one down, titled "granite" is exquisite!
I also admire your channeling of e.e.cummings, of the infrequent Caps. I wonder what the "internet voices will tell you to do next? :D
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.