dogs

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: dogs

Post by rlown »

It's slow so I'll share Simba pics. First hunt didn't flinch on gunshots. Didn't really like to retrieve birds, but that is what Nov 13th is for.
Next time we go out. Bluebird weather sucks and it was 82 degrees.
PA260893.JPG
PA260894.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Well, we went out again on 11/13/19. Had a great pond. No Birds. None at all. 3 of us never took a shot. No one else we know of had any shots.
We were done by 10:30am.

At least Simba had fun. Deeper pond and got to swim and chased little voles in the tules. No pictures of him, but he slept well all the way home.
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Oubliet »

Tarbuckle: Dang, that sounds traumatic.
I would be interested in hearing more about your story if you want to share it. If not here, then in a message.

I am considering bringing my dog along on short trips, but am worried about what the challenges would be.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Excellent video.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Really enjoyed the video, thanks Russ.

Elsewhere rlown wrote:
My friend actually had a lab that would fetch at the bottom of the pool (deep end.)
Black Lab named Sierra.. :)
When we first met, Lizzie came with a lovely golden retriever, who would swim almost anywhere- including amid ice sheets at the end of 1000 Island Lake one time! This dog, named "Squaw,"¹ would perform underwater fetching feats. She would almost always bring up the same stone we tossed for her from off the bottom of Soquel Creek-- usually not more than 5 feet deep. How? I assume dogs smell easily enough underwater.
I have slides of her underwater, but not scanned yet.

¹I had heard somewhere that "Squaw" was actually a derogatory name for an important part of the female anatomy, and when I shared this with Lizzie, she was appalled. "Well what about "squaw bread," and "Squaw Valley?" We didn't want to throw the dog off with a radical change of name, so we changed her name to "Squawzie," (which means: "cute little %&@t.)... and she remained "Squawzie" for the next 10 years, and I don't know how many times I had to explain her name :(

*I should have done a bit of research, as it may really mean woman or wife. Websters:
Massachusett: squa, ussqua, woman
Also:
Originally a neutral term, squaw began to be perceived as offensive by the early 20th century ... the reason may be that the word is sometimes mistakenly thought to refer literally to the female genitals.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.