Unpopular Opinion: The JMT sucks

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Does the JMT suck?

Yes
20%
Yes!
17%
Cake.
63%

Total votes: 30

c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Unpopular Opinion: The JMT sucks

Post by c9h13no3 »

rightstar76 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:01 amHave we been flattering ourselves for hiking lesser known trails?
Undeniably, yes.

Yes, the lesser known trails offer rewards (solitude, new scenery, additional challenges). But patting ourselves on the back for being a more adventurous tourist is pretty lame.

Also, I'd really hate for this thread to get back on topic. :drinkers:
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
gregodorizzi
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by gregodorizzi »

c9h13no3 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:12 am Also, I'd really hate for this thread to get back on topic. :drinkers:
Dogs!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

117.jpg
"Dogs" :thumbsup: ..... less than a mile from the JMT.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

The John Muir Trail itself does not suck and in fact contains spectacular planet Earth scenery with the trail a wonderful monument to human vision, design, and labor in a very large wilderness region.

Obtaining a permit to backpack on the JMT is difficult due to recent popularity and the permit system.

There are environmental issues with the way some people use the JMT.

The vision, goals, and methods of some people that hike and enjoy the JMT especially younger newer visitors, is often different and more limited versus those of older more experienced enthusiasts thus open for modest criticism.

Some policies that control the JMT are awkward.

Hiking the JMT today is a very different for the worse experience due to people than it was decades ago while the High Sierra is visually about the same.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Harlen, if I didn't know better, I would think that the dog is on the north side of Ritter and Banner. Is that more up toward Donohue Pass? Then I see another dog supervising in the rear.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Looks like we have a funny, irreverent off topic thread going (well, it has been a long winter!) and a serious one. Perhaps the serious thread needs to be split off so nobody gets offended. Both sides of the coin are valid.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

bobby49 wrote:
Harlen, if I didn't know better, I would think that the dog is on the north side of Ritter and Banner. Is that more up toward Donohue Pass? Then I see another dog supervising in the rear
WD, I'll try to stay roughly on topic with small references to the "Jolly Mountain Toilet," or whatever funny names it was called above.

So first, we love the JMT for the way it serves to super-concentrate backpackers along that corridor, freeing up the rest. We also love the country and the route it travels from Whitney in the south, all the way to the end of Evo.Valley. Then we love it again under the Ritter Range and Cathedral Peak. In between we wonder at the deviations west, away from the brilliant high basins. Like many well-traveled areas, it is better visited in the off-season.

Secondly, about those dogs! In the our former comment, Wolfie and Bear are high on rolling Mount Davis, just north of Glacier Pass, and as mentioned above- it was just off the JMT, and we went from there off trail west for 6 days without seeing a soul!

331.JPG
Where now bobby49? Above us is the logical higher route the JMT misses... and the pass is colled?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Harlen wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:12 pm 331.JPG Where now bobby49? Above us is the logical higher route the JMT misses... and the pass is colled?
Colled? ...of a col...? The dogs are collared.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Any trail that requires a permit lottery is not worth hiking.

If the trail has a 'Friends of" group or its own website it is not worth hiking.

If the trail has an online trip report from someone in the bay area or LA .... well, you get the picture.... I hike to get away from the insanity of the world, not join it on the trail. Something is seriously wrong when I have more solitude on my living room couch than at a campsite.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

dave54 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:29 pm Any trail that requires a permit lottery is not worth hiking.

If the trail has a 'Friends of" group or its own website it is not worth hiking.

If the trail has an online trip report from someone in the bay area or LA .... well, you get the picture.... I hike to get away from the insanity of the world, not join it on the trail. Something is seriously wrong when I have more solitude on my living room couch than at a campsite.
The Idaho Centenial Trail has a trail orginization and website as does the Oregon Desert Trail. Then there's the Hotsprings Trail, which is far from a beginners trail and only has a handful of finishers. The guy who put together the Hotsprings Trail grew up in LA. Grand Enchantment Trail, Hayduke Trail, etc. You would be hard pressed to find a place to go with more solitude than these trails. There are many times more people hiking the Sierra High Route than these trails. You may want to rethink these rules. :wink: