Unpopular Opinion: The JMT sucks

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Does the JMT suck?

Yes
20%
Yes!
17%
Cake.
63%

Total votes: 30

TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Unpopular Opinion: The JMT sucks

Post by TahoeJeff »

Harlen wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:29 pm
If wild animals worldwide had voices, I think they would say that there are one heck of a lot of human lives around.
I doubt insects would say that:

Recent figures indicate that there are more than 1.4 billion insects for each human on the planet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_ ... population
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

Other random Wiki numbers:

It is estimated that the total number of wild mammals in the world is about 130 billion.

There are an estimated 3,500,000,000,000 (3.5 trillion) fish in the ocean.

According to NASA in 2005, there were over 400 billion trees on our globe. However, more recently, in 2015, using better methods, the global tree count has been estimated at about 3 trillion.

Yep, super thread drift.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

So the JMT will be under even more pressure when the trees and fish invade. got it :) Oh wait, the CDFW will stop the fish..
Stanley Otter
Topix Regular

Post by Stanley Otter »

At least those who use the plural are not mistaking it for the possessive:
Possessive Sierra.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roaring in my ears,
the mountain temple's silence.
Nobody else here!
-- Edith Schiffert
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

funny!
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Sierra's? Really creative.
I've driven under this sign dozens of times in the past 30 years.

Someone in the police department has heard this argument.
The mountains on the patch, however, look more like the Tetons.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

At the risk of bringing this tread back on topic...I will be hiking the JMT this year. Why? First, my grandmother hiked it twice when I was just a kid (she died during a knee replacement surgery that she was doing so she could hike it again). Second, since I started backpacking in 2004 it has been a wish/goal of mine. Finally, I have a sabbatical this year so I will have the time necessary to do it in a way that will be enjoyable.

Will I find solitude on this hike? no. But I will find a bunch of people with similar goals and dreams that we will share, at least for a time, together. When I want solitude, I will head off trail right here in my backyard (Emigrant), but there are times when I enjoy sharing the beauty of God's creation with others. Both of those things are awesome.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

MountainMinstrel, I'm sad to hear that happened to your grandmother when she was trying to get the surgery she needed to hike the John Muir Trail. A tragedy and a loss! I wish you peace and joy in your journey.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

After reading MountainMinstrel's story, I've been thinking. Have we lost our way on the trail?

Have we been flattering ourselves for hiking lesser known trails? Stroking our egos because we "don't trash the place" like those "self-indulgent" JMT hikers? Have we unwittingly put a barrier between ourselves and other hikers due to our perceived level of enthusiasm and knowledge? Of purity? Sure, some hikers leave trash on the trail. Some are noisy and inconsiderate. There are crowds and smart phones. Selfies too. But there's also friendship, camaraderie, and kindness. And transcendence. The experience of being in a beautiful place with something bigger than us. JMT, HST, or any trail. Or no trail. It really doesn't matter. That's why we're here.
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

rightstar76 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:01 am After reading MountainMinstrel's story, I've been thinking. Have we lost our way on the trail?

Have we been flattering ourselves for hiking lesser known trails? Stroking our egos because we "don't trash the place" like those "self-indulgent" JMT hikers? Have we unwittingly put a barrier between ourselves and other hikers due to our perceived level of enthusiasm and knowledge? Of purity? Sure, some hikers leave trash on the trail. Some are noisy and inconsiderate. There are crowds and smart phones. Selfies too. But there's also friendship, camaraderie, and kindness. And transcendence. The experience of being in a beautiful place with something bigger than us. JMT, HST, or any trail. Or no trail. It really doesn't matter. That's why we're here.

Right on Rightstar. I can only add that It's all been visited, loved and abused by generations before us and will continue to be after us.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien