Dinkey Creek Trail

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
robbrandt
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Dinkey Creek Trail

Post by robbrandt »

I am looking for information on the Dinkey Creek Trail. Not the Dinkey Lakes Loop, but the Dinkey Creek Trail. This is the one that goes along Dinkey Creek from Cow Creek Quarry and ends at Deer Creek. For some reason it's really hard to find info on it. I did find one map that shows it:

https://naturalatlas.com/creeks/dinkey-824941

The purpose of this trip is to see how my dog handles wilderness camping. I want to do this Memorial Day weekend, when I know there will still be significant snow at higher elevations. This will be a one night trip starting at the Dinkey Creek Campground, heading down the creek, camping overnight, then coming back to Dinkey Creek Campground.

Are there campsites on this trail, or is it primarily for day hikers? On the above map, the terrain looks easy, although I know Dinkey Creek to be quite rough below Deer Creek. Is this pine forest or is it mostly oak and shrub below the campground? Fire rings?

My family has a cabin in Shaver Lake, so this area is preferable to me. I have been packing all over the western slope of the sierras, since about '74. But not with a dog...
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Dinkey Creek Trail

Post by bobby49 »

What is the dog's level of experience?
robbrandt
Topix Novice

Post by robbrandt »

With backpacking? None. He's an 8 year old Dachshund Chihuahua mix, 20 lbs. "Bentley". I rescued him 3 years ago. Lots of energy and we walk several miles a day. But no wilderness experience. Once the weather clears I will be taking him on some foothill hikes.

I just read your thread about Lucy. Bentley will be leashed the whole time, he has a nylon harness that he loves and has strong hunting instincts.
robbrandt
Topix Novice

Post by robbrandt »

And I will be getting him some booties so that he gets used to them. Hopefully he won't need them.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

At lower elevations, particularly in sage brush, be sure to check for ticks and get a good tick collar. And for a small dog, be aware of mushrooms early season. Sad story, but last year, a relative visited a friend at Three Rivers and let the puppy out and when it arrived at our house, it had seriously over 30 ticks on it. THEN it ate something (too fast for us to see what) in our yard. Two days later the dog died. After searching our yard we found a death cap mushroom. Evidently death cap mushrooms live on the roots of oak trees. Something to consider if in an oak forest in wet conditions.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

robbrandt wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:09 pm With backpacking? None. He's an 8 year old Dachshund Chihuahua mix, 20 lbs. "Bentley". I rescued him 3 years ago. Lots of energy and we walk several miles a day. But no wilderness experience. Once the weather clears I will be taking him on some foothill hikes.

I just read your thread about Lucy. Bentley will be leashed the whole time, he has a nylon harness that he loves and has strong hunting instincts.
Hmmm. It sounds like Bentley might be one of those low-ground-clearance dogs. A dog like that might be OK on a standard trail.

Lucy is not a show dog, nor a herding dog, nor a good breeding dog. She is more of a cuddler.
robbrandt
Topix Novice

Post by robbrandt »

bobby49 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:47 pm
robbrandt wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:09 pm With backpacking? None. He's an 8 year old Dachshund Chihuahua mix, 20 lbs. "Bentley". I rescued him 3 years ago. Lots of energy and we walk several miles a day. But no wilderness experience. Once the weather clears I will be taking him on some foothill hikes.

Hmmm. It sounds like Bentley might be one of those low-ground-clearance dogs. A dog like that might be OK on a standard trail.

Lucy is not a show dog, nor a herding dog, nor a good breeding dog. She is more of a cuddler.
No, he doesn't look like a dachshund, but he acts like it in many respects. Sniffing everywhere, and loves to burrow into blankets. He's pretty athletic.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

You know we want a picture... :)
robbrandt
Topix Novice

Post by robbrandt »

robbrandt
Topix Novice

Post by robbrandt »

Anyone know the secret to embedding YouTube videos here? Can't get it to work. Although the link above is correct.

Anyway, here's a screen capture from it.