Planning August John Muir Wilderness Westside trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Planning August John Muir Wilderness Westside trip

Post by kpeter »

tlsharb wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:11 am I've done it couple times, both headed down. The first time there was a well marked cairn coming off the main trail. Pretty easy to follow, and definitely saves a couple miles. Last year we couldn't find the "use" trail, and just headed down. It took a little while to hit bottom down at the river, but nothing difficult. Definitely worth doing if you are on the way back to courtright.
Thanks! I would only need to use it going down since we will be coming cx into Bench Valley from RMB and would use that cut-off on the way back to Courtright. I'll set a GPS alarm for where it "says" the cutoff begins and that should give me a place to begin looking for it if there is no cairn.
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Planning August John Muir Wilderness Westside trip

Post by tlsharb »

Yeah, it was kind of weird last year, thinking "I know there used to be some obvious rocks made into an arrow just off the trail pointing to a fairly obvious cairn"....where is it? Like I said though, it isn't a hard descent. You will have an obvious ridge on your left and Falls Cr. on your right...just stay between them.