N/S Lake Loop side trips in a snowy year...

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: N/S Lake Loop side trips in a snowy year...

Post by SSSdave »

Those areas mentioned are all much too high elevation areas this year for July 10. The April 1 snowpack measurements were just made showing this is the 4th deepest year on record. Although there are a few members here that enjoy tromping about on summer snow fields and seem to think it adds an aesthetic to landscapes, that is a matter I regularly disagree with. If one is going to get into those kinds of snowy landscape trips, I'll suggest first doing a short trip where I'd bet most backpackers will quickly experience unpleasant reality.

To give you and others with similar notions what you are up against, consider the trip I made in 2017 that is not as deep as the snowpack is now:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/2017_Trip_C ... 17-12.html

At that time snow was covering most terrain above about 7800 feet. I went as high as 8000 and snowy areas I did need to move through were an unpleasant effort you might read about therein. This year 3 weeks beyond those dates is not going to quickly be melting snows up at 10k much less 11k where you are discussing.

There are limited lower elevation backpacking choices that have been repeatedly discussed on this board every big snow year so one can simply search. And yes there are always a few members that will provide well intended advice in such threads on getting into the High Sierra but are usually coming from experience like your own, so beware. One is certainly going to need to be skilled at and have gear and clothing for dealing with mosquitoes even at lower elevations. Will suggest staying below 9000 feet that is going to exclude the majority of popular lakes and passes in the range and do so via looking at online topos paying attention to elevations and avoiding major stream crossings. The better locations to avoid mosquitoes are in the few glacially scoured granitoid regions like the below where one can site camps out in granite away from vegetation.

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=38.0611 ... 4&z=14&b=t
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

My June strategy is to avoid mosquitoes, not snow. As June progresses, my trips go higher and higher; by the first of July I am at 11,000 feet. Depending on the year, I am driven out of the mountains early July due to mosquitoes at all altitudes. So, pick your poison - snow or mosquitoes. I prefer snow. Mosquitoes are horrid generally the two weeks immediately after snowmelt. Wetness lingers after melt in high snow years, so I would not expect mosquitoes to abate this year until mid August. In mosquitoes, wind is your friend; forests and meadows are the worst. The early July timing is the standard for PCT hikers. It is informative to read their blogs. At the melt's edge you get the worst of both post-hole snow and mosquitoes for a week or so. Depends on how the melt goes this spring, but your timing could put you in this time frame. I would guess, this year, you may actually avoid the worst of the mosquitoes if the spring temperatures remain cooler.

As for snow, it all depends on your expectations. You work harder to get from point A to B. You will 100% have wet shoes (does not bother me). This can largely be mitigated by traveling early in the day. But the sun comes up at 5AM! So get up and going by 6! With traction devices (micro-spikes or crampons) you CAN safely walk on the icy snow. All this extra effort is greatly reduced by keeping your pack very light. I have never been forced to set up my tent on snow so I do not take any different camping equipment or clothing (except an extra pair of socks and gaiters) than I would without snow. You will still have typical early July temperatures. Water shoes like Crocks are useful because you often have to wade through a lot of water. At serious water crossings I just keep on my hiking shoes (better stability in moving water) since they are wet anyway. Trekking poles are an absolute necessity for crossings.

Snow changes by the minute and a big part of dealing with early season snow is the ability to "read" the snow- knowing the quirkiness of where snow is easier to walk on. This is not something that is learned with a lesson or two- it takes a lot of experience. But the only way to get that experience is to go out and try! I say go for it! You may well decide it is not for you but at least try it once.

Personally, I think snow on the high elevation landscape is prettier than the stark grayness of talus fields. Sun cups are actually quite stunning. On the PCT, there will likely be a beaten path on the trail which should help. It helps that I started backpacking in the Pacific Northwest and Canadian interior ranges where walking on snow is a given, and then years in the Northern Rockies, where you simply had to be on snow if you wanted to get out in June to mid-July. We just accepted the conditions, never gave it a thought. Sierra backpackers are a bit spoiled by the generally more "friendly" conditions.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Matthewkphx »

Harlen, thanks for the advice, the photos and Wolfie. You have an excellent memory. :)

Dave, I hear you. I really hear you. I’m extremely cautious by nature, as is my hiking partner. We have changed our plans on trail many times in the past.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mike M. »

My June strategy is to avoid mosquitoes, not snow. As June progresses, my trips go higher and higher; by the first of July I am at 11,000 feet. Depending on the year, I am driven out of the mountains early July due to mosquitoes at all altitudes. So, pick your poison - snow or mosquitoes.
WD as usual is right on the money. I hate the skeeters and do anything I can to avoid them. Snow I can live with, especially if it is coupled with beautiful weather and long days (by that I mean extended daylight hours, which you will have especially at the start of your hike). It's true that getting around at high elevation in snow takes a lot of effort, but the rewards are high. The areas you are targeting are all suitable for a July 10 start if you are up to the strenuous effort required. You will be able to find bare ground to camp on almost everywhere you go. I can't wait to see your photos!

One other thing to add: I always hike in boots. Be sure to wear boots (not hiking shoes) on this hike. I treat mine with snow seal before leaving town, which helps them resist water at least for the first few days of the hike. Wool socks are advised. Gaiters are a must.

Have a great adventure!

Mike M.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

Ugh. I’ve hiked thousands of miles over the last 7 years in my trusty Brooks Cascadias. I’ve never worn a hiking boot.

I just picked up some Hillsound Trail Crampons.

I’m reluctant to rethink footwear that works so well for me.

Perhaps relevant information: my pack is pretty light. My Sierra baseweight is typically in the 8 pound range, so with the Hillsounds I’ll be under 10 pounds. We are thinking we will carry four or five days of food, hit MTR for a resupply and then continue on. Total packweight will be in the teens...
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I do not wear boots. But in snow you need an aggressive tread on your shoe sole. A lot of trail shoes are designed with mild tread so trails do not get damaged so avoid these. You can keep drier long in boots but eventually even they get wet too. Wool socks provide warmth even when wet and walking in snow all day will make your feet very cold. I use a leather-synthetic combination low-cut hiking shoe. Currently using Merrel All Out Blaze. These shoes are stiff enough to support crampon straps for a few hours. There are many other trail running shoes out there with deep treads.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mike M. »

A sturdy boot offers so many benefits on a hike like this, I wouldn't t consider anything else. Regardless of the load you're carrying (light or heavy), they protect your feet, help prevent ankle sprains, and provide a much better platform for negotiating snow and cross country terrain than hiking shoes can provide. They are ideal for walking on steep consolidated snow. Don't leave home without 'em. Just saying.

I hike in Asolo TPS 520 boots. They fit like a glove.

Mike M.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

The boot vs low-cut light hiking shoe is an ongoing debate. I used boots for years, changed to light hikers and never looked back. Nowadays there are some pretty sturdy trail running shoes and light hikers. Not like the old days when the choice was boot or tennis shoe. What people wear on their feet is a very individual thing and there is no "right" answer. If you could find a boot that fits well, break it in and be assured that it would be comfortable for long days, then there are some advantages in snow. Boots will keep your feet warmer when wet but not necessarily dry. I do not buy the ankle support argument (but that is a debate in itself). But plenty of people, myself included, do a lot of snow and off-trail rugged backpacking without boots. If you are using crampons ALL day and on steep snow (such as winter mountaineering), then boots are more comfortable. But I doubt you are going to run into those kind of conditions. Microspikes are designed to work well on a more flexible shoe. There also are light hikers that are not quite boots but higher tops than trail runners.

Maybe Harlen will add to this topic. He does a lot of snow travel and knows more about the boots that are available nowadays. My "boot days" are pre-1990's.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

Ok. I can understand the arguments for boots but I am also glad to hear dissenting opinions. I think I will continue with my current plan, using what I know works for me. Perhaps I will learn a valuable lesson and change my mind for future walks in the snow.

I’m glad to hear all sides of these issues. Everyone is being very generous with their thoughts, experiences and advice. Thank you!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

This is my trip report from a North Lake South Lake complete circle loop in a high snow year, two and a half weeks later than you plan. It is not the same route you plan but it should give you some ideas.

http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... oop#p46912

I walked across miles of suncupped snow which began around Sapphire Lake and extended over Muir Pass and down past Helen on the other side--basically everything above 11k was solid snow. I did it mostly in the morning but the suncups had not been broken down yet and this made for awkward stepping.
IMGP2161.jpg
Given that this is a higher snow year and you are going earlier, I would guess that snow coverage would be much more extensive.

The hardest thing about my trip was not the snow but the stream crossings. There were more than 30 that I waded. Three were challenging.

1) West Fork Pinnacles Creek in Piute Canyon as the trail descends from Piute Pass down to the San Joaquin. The canyon wall is steep where it crosses WF Pinnacles and there really is little room to explore for a better crossing. At max runoff the water is so turbulent you cannot see the bottom, anywhere. I found it shallowest on the downstream side--the upstream side of these trail crossings get scooped deep by the water. I monitored reports leading up to my hike and the first successful crossing was about the time you anticipate going, and iirc the guy dragged himself over the stream clinging to willows.

2) Evolution Creek Crossing. The normal crossing was very swift, very rocky, and thigh deep. A few people were crossing there but I went upstream to the meadow crossing which was deeper but sandy and slow. I certainly did not worry about being swept away there, but it is recent snowmelt and so take precautions about hypothermia, especially if it takes you a while to get across. It may be named a "Creek" but at peak runoff it is a river.
IMGP2068.jpg
3) Dusy Creek at 9700. This is the first crossing as you go uphill to Dusy Basin. The second has a bridge. I waited here overnight and found crossing early in the morning much easier and safer as the water levels had gone down significantly during the night. A few people found ways to leap across on wet logs and rocks, but the risk of slipping was high. I waded and it wasn't at all bad in the morning. I am glad I did not try it in the evening.

Now, I am conservative in risk taking so take what I say with that in mind. But in a heavier snow year and 2+ weeks earlier these stream crossings, and many more besides, will be tougher than they were for me, and they took me considerable patience, planning, and time to make them as safe as possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kpeter on Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 7 times in total.