N/S Lake Loop side trips in a snowy year...

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: N/S Lake Loop side trips in a snowy year...

Post by Bishop_Bob »

kpeter wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:57 am I like your contingency planning. The best way to make this safe is to prepare yourself mentally in advance to turn back if you need to. For example, if Lamarck Col looks too hairy with the snow, try Piute Pass.
If he were to find the conditions over Lamarck Col too difficult, would on-the-fly re-routing over Piute Pass violate the permit?
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Matthewkphx wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:51 am Thanks for your response.
I’m not familiar with WF Pinacles Creek. Where is that?
West Fork Pinnacles Creek is one of the three potentially challenging crossings I mentioned earlier. You would only hit it if you go over Piute Pass and head down Piute Canyon. It is a ways after Hutchinson meadow. It is normally not much of a problem, but for a couple of weeks during snowmelt it can become a torrent. During the high snow year I did the loop it was fine by the fourth week of July but people on this board reported problems crossing it a few weeks earlier. You will also cross East Pinnacles Creek but it was not a problem.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

kpeter, Ok, I see it on the map and re-read your post from April. Thanks.

Bob, I have a permit for Piute Pass. Although it was mentioned in this thread, I don’t think we are likely to go over Lamarck Col on this trip.