Mono Pass, Late June High Snow Year?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
scipio
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Mono Pass, Late June High Snow Year?

Post by scipio »

I am planning a trip over Mono Pass and into Pioneer Basin the last week of June this year. Is there likely to be a lot of snow still up on the pass or in Pioneer Basin? I've searched the forum but can't find pictures of an exact time match, and am wondering based on this being such a high snow year.

I have some off-trail experience but no snow hiking experience. If there is snow would a novice be able to navigate it with microspikes?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Mono Pass, Late June High Snow Year?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I did the trip July 10-15 2017, a high snow year - this year likely the same. That is two weeks later than your planned trip. I wrote a trip report. Mono Pass was snow covered and I used crampons (I simply do not have microspikes). The trail had a few icy spots and the slope is steep, with one section where you would slam into rocks if you fell, but most of the trail, if you fell you would slide into a bowl (still could end up injured). I would not recommend it for someone with zero snow experience.

Although considerably longer you can reach Pioneer Basin by going in the west side from Edison Lake and walk up Mono Creek. That of course would depend if the road were open last week in June.

I would postpone the trip for mid-July or later. Pioneer Basin would be pretty snow covered too, so not sure how much you would enjoy it even if you got over Mono Pass. But we still do not know how fast the snow will melt, so watch that. If it melts faster than 2017 Mono Pass would still be snowy but Pioneer Basin itself may be more open.
01_Mono Pass_6987_crop.jpg
05_MidPioneerLk_7011-crop.jpg
06_Upper Pioneer Basin Lake_process.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scipio
Topix Acquainted

Post by scipio »

Many thanks Wandering Daisy! I think I will postpone my trip to late July or choose a lower elevation destination for late June.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

We did this trip in early July in a moderate snow year and still found snow on the pass--enough to make us think a bit--and plenty of water pooling up and flowing on the trail. This year it will be under several feet of snow for miles.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
scipio
Topix Acquainted

Post by scipio »

Thanks balzacom! I am definitely postponing this trip to August. I may find somewhere lower to go in late June.