Walk In Trail Crest Exit Permit

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
RiseToADry
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Walk In Trail Crest Exit Permit

Post by RiseToADry »

I've been doing some digging online about getting a walk in Trail Crest Exit Permit, but can't seem to find the answer to my question...

What I do know:
  • There are 25 Trail Crest Exit permits per day, 15 reserved, 10 walk in.
  • You must put the exit permit on your generic wilderness permit when it's issued.

What I want to know:
  • How far in advance do they issue the walk in exit permits?
  • If you're going in for a 7 day trip, will they issue the exit permit the day you pick up your generic one?
  • If yes, does this mean the 10 walk in exit permits could be issued at any time in the previous 2ish weeks? Basically, the longer your trip the better chance you have of securing the exit permit?
  • How likely is getting an walk in exit permit for 3 people if I attempt to secure 7 days prior to the exit date?

I was planning to call the day before my entry to see how many permits are left, but I'm curious if anyone else has experience with this...
RiseToADry
Topix Regular

Re: Walk In Trail Crest Exit Permit

Post by RiseToADry »

Bump.

Anyone know anything about this?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

You may find better help at the Whitney forum. http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthread ... um_summary
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Mountainman who swims with trout
RiseToADry
Topix Regular

Post by RiseToADry »

Thank you both. I'll check those forums out!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The last time I got a Whitney exit permit, was 11:30 AM at the Mono Lake ranger station. I had planned on going out Cottonwood Lakes, simply because I thought there was no way I could get a Whitney exit. My walk in permit was to start next day at Onion Valley. Out of curiosity, I asked if Whitney exit permits were available, and he found one and wrote the permit. I had to say which day(s) I would be in the Whitney zone, but that could change depending on conditions. As it was, weather was fine so I was able to be in the Whitney Zone exactly as permitted.

So I think the best bet is to view the Whitney exit as "Plan B" if you get a walk-in permit. Worth it to ask and be a bit flexible.
RiseToADry
Topix Regular

Post by RiseToADry »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:15 pm The last time I got a Whitney exit permit, was 11:30 AM at the Mono Lake ranger station. I had planned on going out Cottonwood Lakes, simply because I thought there was no way I could get a Whitney exit. My walk in permit was to start next day at Onion Valley. Out of curiosity, I asked if Whitney exit permits were available, and he found one and wrote the permit. I had to say which day(s) I would be in the Whitney zone, but that could change depending on conditions. As it was, weather was fine so I was able to be in the Whitney Zone exactly as permitted.

So I think the best bet is to view the Whitney exit as "Plan B" if you get a walk-in permit. Worth it to ask and be a bit flexible.
Thanks for this info WD! That's kind of my plan.. I have a reserved permit going in and out of the same place but a Whitney exit would make it a lot less walking and more time for fishing. I'll just ask when I pick up my permit and maybe I'll get lucky!