Advice: Agnew Meadows to Mono Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Tonydavid
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Advice: Agnew Meadows to Mono Pass

Post by Tonydavid »

Hi trying to decide whether I'm up to going with a group of teenagers and younger adults on 8-day backpack from Agnew Meadow to Mono Pass June 19-27. The group is planning to climb 3 peaks along the route which I may or may not do. .I am 61 and in fairly good shape but I am slowing down. Did Agnew to Tuolumne Meadows in 6 days three years ago and that was tough. I would appreciate advice on the Agnew to Mono pass route and camp spots as well as general advice about the route, conditions and anything else I should know.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Advice: Agnew Meadows to Mono Pass

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Last year, 2018, after a slightly below average winter snowpack, the road opened June 15. So June 19 unless one walks from the Mammoth Lodge a few miles through snow....
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Likely lots of snow and difficult conditions this year. Not sure if even the young and strong are going to have an easy trip. I came in from Tioga Road and although conditions were not bad over at the start (to Alger Lakes), the snow under melt-conditions became pretty miserable. There were some steep snow sections.
Merge4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tonydavid
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tonydavid »

Thank you "rightstar76, SSSdave and Wondering Daisy for the responses....very helpful. Your expertise and caution and pointers are appreciated!
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

Hi Tonydavid,

There are two Mono Passes in the Sierra. Which Mono Pass are you exiting - the one north of Agnew, or the one south of Agnew? [Based on your Agnew start, I'm guessing you're hiking to the northernmost Mono Pass. But wanted to check.]
Tonydavid
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tonydavid »

North.