Backup Trip Due to Snow

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
marinfish
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Backup Trip Due to Snow

Post by marinfish »

I was only referencing where the snow level would be a few weeks from now based on the pictures. Not the creek crossing at the moment.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

If you are just looking for someplace to go, consider the Carson Range on the east side of Lake Tahoe. I mentioned a likely trip in response to another thread: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... 45#p146645

-Phil
janky
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by janky »

Yeah, the creek crossings and any deep snow will be a problem for us. We've got kids ranging from 8 to 13 (4 total) with us so it's gotta be a smoother trip.
scap
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by scap »

Grass lake might be hard to get to with that raging creek. Dicks lake usually is one of the first to thaw out. An easy one to fish as well for kids is desolation lake which I would imagine is partially thawed out. There are other lakes that are thawing out near that one as well that have fish of various sizes in it and a lot of stuff to keep the kids busy. Maybe they will be sliding down the snow as well around any camp you make.

Middle Velma I have no idea but a lot of that trail is protected by the sun and does not face south. Ropi will be melted out too.