Need a 2 to 3 day mid-June hike for my visiting nephews

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Need a 2 to 3 day mid-June hike for my visiting nephews

Post by AlmostThere »

I did one spring head for Kibbie and we found ourselves in a snow storm - dropped an inch as we hiked, reached Kibbie in a fog as the clouds had descended on us. Rather than continue we went down to Lake Eleanor and stayed in the campsite there. There was one creek crossing for us on the way down (Frog Creek) that was not as bad as all that. And it was not a bad option, as the designated sites at Eleanor had a bear locker, the fishing was good in the lake, and some of us day hiked over toward Hetch Hetchy.
steppinrazor
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by steppinrazor »

Thanks everyone, great suggestions, I've got some researching to do. Levitt is somplace I've been trying ot get to since I moved to the area.

Hetchy Hetchy surrounding area and Rockbound Lake (NW corner of Desolation Wilderness) have also been mention to me IRL. Any thoughts on those?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

steppinrazor wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:21 pm Thanks everyone, great suggestions, I've got some researching to do. Levitt is somplace I've been trying ot get to since I moved to the area.

Hetchy Hetchy surrounding area and Rockbound Lake (NW corner of Desolation Wilderness) have also been mention to me IRL. Any thoughts on those?
Hetch Hetchy is great this time of year, but ask the ranger about the bridge safety, the waterfalls can actually wash over them at peak flow. And be ready to get your feet wet. Anything called a "valley" or "meadow" this time of year is a knee deep mud pit.

Rockbound Lake is at 6500 feet, looks like it's mostly snow free on the map. Never been though. The Desolation Wilderness gets a ton of snow though, in 2017 Lake Aloha was still mostly frozen in June.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.