Best SEKI Routes coming from San Diego

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
adornowest
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Best SEKI Routes coming from San Diego

Post by adornowest »

Thanks, AlmostThere and Grampy. I am a bit worried about Rae Lake's congestion, but am hoping to get a bit off the main trail. I'm curious to see how and why Rae lakes is especially beautiful. And Grampy, please do post a TR!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

adornowest wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:19 pm Thanks, AlmostThere and Grampy. I am a bit worried about Rae Lake's congestion, but am hoping to get a bit off the main trail. I'm curious to see how and why Rae lakes is especially beautiful. And Grampy, please do post a TR!
It's as beautiful as many places in the Sierra. It's just more famous than the other many places. I'm sure fanatics will say otherwise, but there are a LOT of gorgeous lakes out there without pesky habituated bears that don't run from you any more.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

If Rae Lakes trails are congested, then duck over to the Sixty Lake Basin.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

You might find this trip report (not my report) interesting for a trip to Miter Basin
https://backcountrypost.com/threads/fou ... ierra.7981

I found Rae Lakes to be very beautiful and very crowded. I'm not sure I would try for a walk-up permit if you already have a permit that would get you to Miter Basin
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

I think people's obsession with Rae Lakes comes from the fact that you can do it as a pretty easy entry-level loop, that loop has a name, and people love loops. I don't find the basin itself to be much more magical than any other area in the Sierra---it just happened to get famous. This year is not a good year for it, though, with the bridge being out and the water being so high. I'd stay away until the bridge is rebuilt, especially since there are tons of other areas in the Sierra that you haven't explored.

Another spot to consider is Dusy Basin from the South Lake trailhead near Bishop. Spectacular scenery and easy cross country. You could head up over Knapsack pass to Palisade basin then connect down to the JMT to loop back. It's a farther drive than Miter via Cottonwood though.

If you want a more "famous" route, you could do North Lake to South Lake. I guess technically that starts in JM Wilderness, not SeKi, but a lot of it is in SeKi. Spectacular scenery, plus you get to see the hut at Muir Pass.

I'm actually heading to Miter basin for Labor Day, so I'm looking forward to all these mentions of trip reports!
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Rae loop also starts from the west side, which all the San Francisco & Fresno people have a much easier time getting to. If you're from San Diego, you have no excuse, the east side is closer.

Plus Rae starts inside the National Park, which surely must hold better scenery than some random place in a national forest (it does not).
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I do not consider the Dusy-Knapsack-JMT loop "easy" cross country, particularly this year there will be lingering steep snow. To connect with the JMT at Palisade Lake, you still have to go over Cirque Pass, which has a tricky descent route.

Nor do I consider North-South Lake via Lemark Col "easy", but it is easier than Dusy-Kanpsack-JMT. The North to South Lake loop that goes over Piute Pass is longer but all trail.

Both are harder than the Rae Lake loop.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:15 pm I do not consider the Dusy-Knapsack-JMT loop "easy" cross country, particularly this year there will be lingering steep snow. To connect with the JMT at Palisade Lake, you still have to go over Cirque Pass, which has a tricky descent route.
Exploring Dusy basin is definitely easy, but yeah the loop could be hard with snow. OP wanted 3 to 6 days, which 3 days just staying in Dusy is a nice trip, don't even have to go up any passes.
Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:15 pm Nor do I consider North-South Lake via Lemark Col "easy", but it is easier than Dusy-Kanpsack-JMT. The North to South Lake loop that goes over Piute Pass is longer but all trail.
I didn't suggest going via Lamarck.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Post by Bishop_Bob »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:15 pm Nor do I consider North-South Lake via Lemark Col "easy", but it is easier than Dusy-Kanpsack-JMT. The North to South Lake loop that goes over Piute Pass is longer but all trail.
WD, I've seen several instances of you referencing Lamarck Col as Lemark Col. Is that a historical variation or a personal preference? Just curious.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have no preference, I simply cannot spell worth beans!