High Sierra to Bearpaw/Hamilton Lake (6/24-28)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: High Sierra to Bearpaw/Hamilton Lake (6/24-28)

Post by AlmostThere »

The HST was the one place I had the good fortune to hike with a bear for a mile before he got sick of my singing and yelling, and left the trail.
HYKNRKS
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by HYKNRKS »

Great tips and stories. Just doing about 4 nights checking the area. Packs are ready...just waiting till the Sunday drive to 3 Rivers, then pickup the permit, last check on ranger advice and updates...hitting the trail Monday morning. Hoping 1 night around 7/8 mile camp. Then on to Bearpaw...for 2 nights. Dayhike the area, check out some views....then return. Taking my dad, he is 76.....so, nothing too intense. Let ya know details when I return.

Hoping for passable trails and crossings.
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

From the SEKI website:

"6/20 - Trail above Hamilton Lake on High Sierra Trail, a 10 foot section of trail has fallen away and there is a 8+ ft drop straight down with a few hundred foot drop after that. Impassible to stock. Hikers continuing beyond this point would be required to scramble on steep sides, both above and below the slide. Cautioun is advised."

https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/trailcond.htm
HYKNRKS
Topix Novice

Post by HYKNRKS »

Yup...saw that this morning....not going past Hamilton...maybe a night or dayhike. But past Hamilton is not on the agenda for this trip.

Thanks.
HYKNRKS
Topix Novice

Post by HYKNRKS »

Long story short....next year.

....trip aborted due to the ranger intel of backpackers being backed up and log jammed a due to 2 impassable creek crossings, Mehrten & Buck.

We checked out and mulled over alternatives for 3 hrs...then decided we were trying to do too much to get in a trip. So, headed home.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

HYKNRKS wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:09 pm Long story short....next year.

....trip aborted due to the ranger intel of backpackers being backed up and log jammed a due to 2 impassable creek crossings, Mehrten & Buck.

We checked out and mulled over alternatives for 3 hrs...then decided we were trying to do too much to get in a trip. So, headed home.
O_o

Didn't even hike out to Tokopah Falls to see the peak melt? Man, we might have to take your badge away...
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
HYKNRKS
Topix Novice

Post by HYKNRKS »

Nah...the trip wanted with my dad (76 knees and all) would not have been the trip we would have gotten on this day. Meh....still got 2 more trips planned.....easterm side, more will be revealed.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

:-k So if someone knows Buck is uncrossable, Mehrten... isn't.
HYKNRKS
Topix Novice

Post by HYKNRKS »

Oh you can get around it via Alta, or heading upstream, but as stated, I was not the one I was concerned about, and the trip down would not have been within wheelhouse, and comfort level.

So, we had a trip planned, I honored the concerns, and we let it go.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Good call, know the limitations of everyone in your group, and decide accordingly. 👍
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org