Yose water availability

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
acorad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Yose water availability

Post by acorad »

Wow, this is great info! I don't think we knew that there were "Next Day" permits, nor that we could change THs.

I think we'd much rather go right instead of left from TM.

Gotta talk to my crew.

Thank you!

Andy
acorad
Topix Regular

Post by acorad »

WD, yes, we have the Half Dome cable route permits.

Andy
fpb56
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by fpb56 »

Andy, when you check in for your permit you might be able to change it. I'd go with Wandering Daisys route if possible
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

I don't think I've ever, in the years I've been backpacking in the Sierra, had a route where I had to worry about water in between camps. I carry 2-3 liters - filter it in the morning in camp before leaving, put it in the pack, drink as I hike, get to the next camp 6-10 miles later, get more water for dinner, repeat. Unless you're one of those who wants to carry two cups of water at any given time and filter every half hour or something I'd just be sure camp is somewhere near a water source.

Looking at maps, if you see a stream and it's a solid blue line, it's probably a year-round water source. In drought years some of those were less reliable but this is not a drought year. If the stream on the map is a broken line, it's seasonal and will be dried up by midsummer-fall.
acorad
Topix Regular

Post by acorad »

Thanks AT, that helps a lot.

Andy
acorad
Topix Regular

Post by acorad »

WD - " It is really not very far from the camps on Sunrise Creek near the lower trail junction to Cloud's Rest to LYV, where there would be water."

Daisy, where are the camps on Sunrise Creek near the lower trail junction to Clouds Rest to LYV?