Yose water availability

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
acorad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Yose water availability

Post by acorad »

Hi all, in the first week of September five of us will hike from Tuolumne Meadows to Yosemite Village, via Glen Aulin, Tenaya, Lake, Sunrise Lakes, Sunrise Creek Trail, and the JMT.

I am trying to plan our water stops.

I know, it's not the sexiest trip ever. But we're all in our 50's, most of our kids are now away at college so we have more free time, and this will be our low-key, first time, shakedown Sierra hike. Some of us have done week-long hikes in the past, and some have never done more than a day hike.

I've done a bunch of googling, but I'm finding that up to date info on water is hard to find.

Anyway, our first night is in the ever-popular Tuolumne Meadows, and I've read that there should be water there.

Our second night will be on the Glenn Aulin/Tenaya Lake trail, somewhere around Cathedral Creek. Should we expect there to be any water in Cathedral Creek?

Our third night will be at Sunrise Lakes, so there should be water there.

Nights four and five will be on the JMT near Sunrise Creek as we will spend one day doing an early AM up and back on Half Dome. I read that Sunrise Creek went dry in many places during the drought, is there water in it now, uphill of the side trail to Half Dome?

Thanks to all for any help you can be!

Best,

Andy
Last edited by acorad on Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
acorad
Topix Regular

Re: Yose water availability

Post by acorad »

Well, thanks to all for your help!

I think there's just one section left that I'm still looking for water info:

Does anyone have any info on Cathedral Creek? It crosses the trail from Glen Aulin to Tenaya Lake.

Best,

Andy
Last edited by acorad on Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Last year, the no name creek that crosses the Clouds Rest trail at 37.7836, -119.4632 was flowing. This year is crazy wet, I wouldn't sweat water at all. Unless you're planning to dry camp.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Unnamed Rd.". I assume you mean the Glen Aulin-May Lake trail.

What destinations are you looking to see between Glen Aulin & Tenaya Lake?
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It would help if you would post a map of your proposed route.

My preferred route would be via Volgelsang Lakes, over Volgelsang Pass and down Lewis Creek to Merced Lake and then down the Merced to LYV where you intersect the JMT. There would be no water issues on that route, plus more opportunities for fishing.
acorad
Topix Regular

Post by acorad »

Very helpful, let's see if this works: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tuolu ... 19.4422135

Should be a red marker right on the creek in question.

I don't know the name of the trail.
Last edited by acorad on Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

acorad wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:30 pm Very helpful, let's see if this works...
Ah yes, the google.

Your permit is for Glen Aulin (trailhead #22A)?
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
acorad
Topix Regular

Post by acorad »

c9h13no3, yes.

Andy
acorad
Topix Regular

Post by acorad »

Wandering Daisy, your route looks really good but I believe our permit requires that we go via Glen Aulin. I think the permits for the Volgelsang direction out of Tuolumne Meadows were sold out, unfortunately.

Andy
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:04 pm It would help if you would post a map of your proposed route.

My preferred route would be via Volgelsang Lakes, over Volgelsang Pass and down Lewis Creek to Merced Lake and then down the Merced to LYV where you intersect the JMT. There would be no water issues on that route, plus more opportunities for fishing.
As you are going in September...schools are back in, and walk-up permits for all TM TH's will be available. While all "Reserved" permits (60%) may be gone...the "Next Day" permits (the other 40%, plus any no shows) are always open. Ask to change THs while at the TM Wilderness office when you pick up your "Reserved" permit.

Your proposed route, other than plenty of small Brookies and 'Bows along the Tuolumne River first day, does not bode well for good fishing. BTW, backside of May Lake is OK if you intended on stopping there. Sunrise Lakes are tough and not very productive. Instead, would follow the good advice of WD above.

If serious about making this a great fishing trip, and mostly downhill too...(without giving too much away), thoughts -
TM (Rafferty Creek trail) to Vogelsang area first day - Townsley and Hanging Basket worth a layover day.
Bernice next - many Brookies here...everybody will catch fish.
Down towards Merced Lake (Lewis Creek) but instead of staying there, take the left fork on the way down - a little side trip to Washburn (just 2 extra miles and mostly level hiking too) would be lots more fun. (see TOPO).
Plenty of good fly fishing in the many pools all the way down the Merced to LYV.

Another suggestion too - Take a day in TM to acclimate...and maybe, while there, hike up to/fish the Gaylors and the Granites.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

If you have a large group and already have your permit to Glen Aulin, and cannot get another permit, you may be stuck.

I have walked from Glen Aulin on the trail you plan to take to the road (and Tenaya Lake). It is not a particularly scenic trail, just in a lot of trees. There was plenty of water in Cathedral Creek (note this is not the same "Cathedral Creek" cited later in my comments) when I did it early season a few years back, but, again, McGee Lake is your last reliable water late season. You may be able to find some water in Poly Dome lakes, but they are a bit off the trail. I suspect the water there would be a big stagnant. But you could filter it. Murphy Creek may or may not be flowing.

I walked along Sunrise Creek last week and it was not really big. I could easily cross it. It is supposed to be a hot summer so the conservative thing to do is to assume Sunrise Creek would be dry. It is really not very far from the camps on Sunrise Creek near the lower trail junction to Cloud's Rest to LYV, where there would be water. Do you already have permits for the cable route on Half Dome? You can still do that from LYV.

From Sunrise Lakes, you could also do the roundabout route back to Cathedral Creek (go to High Sierra Camp, a bit north and then take the cross-trail to Cathedral Creek). You would not need a new permit to do this. I have done this later in the season and Cathedral Creek had water. Echo Creek is significantly larger than Sunrise Creek and usually has water. If not it is only as short distance down to the Merced River in Echo Valley.

At any rate, when you pick up your permit, the Ranger should have some information on the water situation. It would be good to have a few pre-planned alternatives in case Sunrise Creek IS dry, and include the alternate route markskor described above.