Yosemite Ledge Trail

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cantare
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Yosemite Ledge Trail

Post by cantare »

Has anyone climbed this abandoned "trail" (now ~Class 3 route) to Glacier Point in the past few years? All the reports I can find are quite old, and it's hard to know if recent rockfall or erosion has altered the already-dubious feasibility equation for the worse.

For that matter, any recent beta on Fern Ledge, Sierra Point, Indian Canyon, or other old/unmaintained/verboten Yosemite scrambles would be appreciated. (Pretend I've already read the standard disclaimers...)
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Yosemite Ledge Trail

Post by balzaccom »

Last report I saw was a few years ago. It described the trail as extremely challenging. After the slide, it is now described as suicidal...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Did the Ledge about 20+ years back - pre slide. It was way scarey then. About 5 years ago, tried it again - turned around 1/4 of the way down. Needed to rap off a sketch section, to continue on past the broken trail area...not advised.
Mountainman who swims with trout
chulavista
Topix Acquainted

Post by chulavista »

Yeah I have a few times in recent years but only in spring conditions. Summitpost has an excellent page for off-trail valley scrambles.
looks easy from here
Topix Acquainted

Post by looks easy from here »

I hiked Sierra Point 5 years ago. To the best of my recollection there was one 70' long class 2 section, but nothing very serious. And we did it in mixed rain/snow, so if it had any real exposure the slickness would have turned us back.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

14 people have died on the Ledge Trail. There is a sign at the bottom that says not to try it...

Sierra Point is NOT THE LEDGE TRAIL. It's much less lethal.
looks easy from here
Topix Acquainted

Post by looks easy from here »

If that's directed at me, I'm aware Sierra Point isn't the Ledge Trail. I was responding to his request for beta on other trails in the second paragraph.
cantare
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cantare »

Did any of the 14 deaths result from attempted ascents, or only people trying to go down, like @markskor but without rope?
I do like summitpost, but there's nothing on their Ledge Trail page newer than 2014...same with Yosemite-specific forums. Last reports mention the 'suicidal' rockfall, but it's hard to know if weathering has stabilized the sketchy areas since then. Maybe you have some impressions from your recent trips, @chulavista? "Spring conditions" meaning, with snow?
Thanks for the Sierra Point info...yes, a very different trail!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
chulavista
Topix Acquainted

Post by chulavista »

Not sure how familiar you are with Yosemite valley, but the upper gully after you turn left at the falls holds snow into late spring. I have no idea what is or isn't suicidal, but I would say that if you can do fern ledge with no problems then you probably would be ok with going up ledge trail in spring if you are comfortable with using a mountaineering axe. I wouldn't go down it though.

One of the benefits of spring travel is that you take people throwing rocks or knocking rocks over the edge from the top out of the equation. There is no place to hide if something bad happens.