Where to go Fourth of July, 2019

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
xiainx
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Where to go Fourth of July, 2019

Post by xiainx »

Hey HST!
I'm looking for recommendations for a backpacking trip over the Fourth of July week this year. It's a bit of a difficult request, I know. I'm planning on taking the full week off, giving me 9 days for transportation and hiking. I'm in the Bay Area, but willing to drive up to a full day, although I have a bias for closer to home. I'd like to hike 30-35 miles per full day assuming elevation change on par with the JMT, for a total between 200 and 300 miles. Last summer I did the JMT during that week. I'm leaning towards doing something different this year, and it looks like conditions may not be ideal in the High Sierra by early July this year. I'm also open to doing 2 or 3 shorter hikes as well, with some driving in between. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on any of the options I've considered below?

Full list of questions recommended by HST:
Backpacking experience: level 4
Terrain: comfortable up to class 3 XCountry, and river and snow crossings, but would prefer to keep it somewhat tame this trip as I'll be solo.
Main interest: Big mountain scenery, lakes, forests, photography in that order
How many days/nights: 9 days from the Bay Area, happy to drive a but (this trip doesn't have to be in the Sierra).
How many miles did you want to do a day: 30-35 no layovers
Experience at elevation: yes, not concerned about altitude sickness
Route logistics: no out-and-backs please, couple probably make a point-to-point work
Paritcular area of the Sierra: anywhere that's not too inundated by snow :-) SEKI high country would be preferred, but probably isn't too feasible.
Experience in the Sierra Nevada: yes, lots, all over Emigrant, Yosemite, some in Ansel Adams / John Muir Wilderness. JMT in 7 days last year, 6 days ambling around SEKI last fall.
Dog: no

Here are some of the options I've thought about thus far:
Tahoe Rim Trail to Tahoe-Yosemite Trail (290 miles): I'm currently leaning towards this option, as it meets most of my constraints and might? be mostly melted out by early July. I'm mostly curious if there are other options that are a bit more scenic and remote.
JMT/ Big SEKI Loop (220 miles): As I said, I did the JMT last year, and it's currently unclear how conditions will be.
Sierra High Route / Southern Sierra High Route / King's Canyon High Basin Route / Yosemite High Route: Main concerns are snow (moreso than JMT) and tackling a largely off-trail route solo. These options may be best saved for later this summer.
A couple of hikes in Washington, like the Wonderland Trail, PCT Section J, Alpine Lakes Grand Traverse, or something in North Cascades. I'm not as familiar with the Cascades, so I don't know when they're in hiking season or where the good stuff is.
Uinta Highline Trail: A bit of a drive for an 80 mile point-to-point / 160 mile yo-yo. Also don't know how conditions will be here in early July. Could conceivably be paired with something else in the desert or the Winds, but that's a bit of a drive.
Collegiate Peaks Loop: Not sure it's worth the drive given the options I have in the Sierra.
Bigfoot Trail: I don't know much about this, but the scenery doesn't look that exciting on the whole.

Thank you!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Where to go Fourth of July, 2019

Post by bobby49 »

You neglected to state what kind of snow equipment you have, skis, snowshoes, crampons, microspikes, etc.

Also, I guess you know that 30-35 miles per day is improbable when you consider the snow conditions.
xiainx
Topix Acquainted

Post by xiainx »

Whoops, my mistake. I don't mind carrying microspikes and an ice axe, I'd prefer to find a place where they're not needed, though. I'd rather not break out the skis and snowshoes for this trip.

I'm aware the Sierra are currently under quite a bit of snow. I was hoping someone might now of a hike that somehow still fit the bill, or could recommend other parks and ranges to look at, outside of the Sierra.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

And how good are you at swimming across raging torrents of ice cold snowmelt? Because those are going to be everywhere, whether there is snow at that elevation or not....

I think your ambitious plans are better for August or September. The Tahoe Rim Trail would have the advantage at least of having no permit necessary for the parts outside Desolation Wilderness - you've waited way, way late in the game and wilderness areas requiring permits have quotas. And those folks who have reserved permits are now doing a similar scramble looking for lower and safer trips.

Grand Canyon? Bryce?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

AlmostThere wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:53 pm Grand Canyon? Bryce?
In July? That sounds like hell. Grand Canyon high temps would be 100+ right?

Wonderland trail in Rainier? It doesn't go above 7000 ft, and the Pac NW didn't have a huge snow year. Get on a plane. The Cascades are gorgeous.

It's just not the light & fast season in the Sierra yet. I'm still planning ski trips.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Like others asking similar questions, will first suggest one take a look at the last NASA EOSDIS WV daily satellite image with few clouds (June 19), and compare that with the online caltopo dot com topo as to where one is wondering about going. Doing so, one will immediately understand limitations. Each day more and more mid elevation landscape are melting out, especially more sunny exposure slopes. However most elevations above 9k remain solid white on the satellite. There are already threads suggesting lower elevation areas that are already melted out. There are actually a ton of trails at those forest mid elevations, it is just that lake-mindset only backpackers tend to ignore them except as ways to reach the high alpine areas where most of the lakes are. Learn to enjoy river canyons with whitewater and you would find much is already open.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/2017_Trip_C ... 17-12.html

Outside the Sierra Nevada if lakes are a must you could visit Marble Mountains or Trinity Alps Wilderness. Or better, visit Redwood National Park and day hike redwoods and coastal beaches in pleasant cool marine temperatures.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

All of your Sierra options seem completely unreasonable to me. If you are have the equipment and skills for snow travel that alternates from icy to slushy and postholing, then you could do a high country trip, but it won't be 30 to 35 miles per day! More like 10 to 15. The NASA EOSDIS Terra satellite view for June 23 am is exceptionally clear and detailed. See
https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/?p ... 3230968445
Here are some screenshots from Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Mammoth to Kings Canyon, and Kings Canyon to the Sierra south of Whitney. Notice something? All the high country is solid white - which is snow! It's not going to melt in one week.
EOSDIS-Terra-2019-06-23-LakeTahoe.jpg
EOSDIS-Terra-2019-06-23-Yosemite.jpg
EOSDIS-Terra-2019-06-23-Mammoth2KingsCanyon.jpg
EOSDIS-Terra-2019-06-23-KingsCanyon2SouthSierra.jpg
If you really want to do 200 to 300 miles on trails without a lot of snow, why not do a PCT section hike in northern California somewhere between the Yuba Pass area in the northern Sierra and the Trinity Alps? The EOSDIS satellite shows that area almost all snow free.

Another option for several shorter hikes in a general area would be the high mountain ranges of central Nevada that are part of the Humboldt-Toiyabe national forest. These are the Toiyabe, Toquima, and Monitor ranges, with the Arc Dome, Alta Toquima, and Table Mountain Wilderness areas, respectively, plus lots more roadless areas not designated as Wilderness. About an 8 hour drive from the SF Bay Area. Check out the "Explore" tab on the Friends of Nevada Wilderness website (nevadawilderness.org) for area descriptions and photos. I did several 50 mile loop hikes in those areas in the 70s and never (I mean NEVER) saw anyone else. These ranges are high enough (up to 12,000 feet) to have some dramatic peaks and interesting aspen and limber pine forests. No lakes (well, a couple of ponds), but some glacial cirques. Trails are sketchy, but you mostly don't need them in the open country high up in these ranges. There are range cattle, so bring your water filter. The EOSDIS satellite shows they have snow only on the highest peaks - that's good, it provides a water source.

-Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

PCT hikers who have gone straight through the Sierra are making from 7-18 miles per day with the snow, and hiking about 10-11 hours per day. The thing about snow is that it actually can be easier when you have a 2-3 or more foot base but becomes post-hole hell, as when it melts down to 1 foot or less. And as the sun beats on deeper snow, it becomes sun-cup hell; this has already began. The snow on my trip a few days ago was more like classic "Sierra Cement" but it is changing rapidly.

No way are you going to make 30 miles a day until the snow is gone, and stream crossings subside to hop-across status. If you want to start such a trip Fourth of July, you may want to adjust your expectations on mileage, otherwise, go in August or September. But, nothing wrong about "going for it" as long as you are prepared to turn back or adjust plans as you go and put safety first rather than a daily mileage goal and are properly equipped. Pre-mosquito, pre-crowd in the Sierra is a unique time to backpack, but not for everyone. If you are extremely "goal oriented" you may want to re-think this.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:04 am If you are extremely "goal oriented" you may want to re-think this.
Yeah, my wife falls into this camp. She's a marathon runner, and becomes very frustrated with our slow pace in sun cupped snow, bushwhacking, or climbing steep talus. Early season trips are more about surmounting obstacles than keeping a mileage goal. You have to adjust your expectations of what "far" means.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.