TR: 6/20-23 Kennedy Lk-Relief Res-Summit Cr

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

TR: 6/20-23 Kennedy Lk-Relief Res-Summit Cr

Post by Wandering Daisy »

TR: 6/20-23, 2019 Kennedy Lake, Relief Reservoir and Summit Creek

I was torn between two trips; one out of Kennedy Meadow and the other out of Hetch Hetchy. The former won because of fears of creek crossing problems and mosquitoes with the latter. I had planned a 5-day relaxed trip with fishing, two nights at Kennedy Lake and two nights at Relief Reservoir with a day-hike up Summit Creek to check out conditions. It was very windy which precluded much fly fishing and surprising hordes of people at those two locations changed plans slightly.

First night was at Kennedy Lake, lush green meadows, wildflowers, nearly melted south-facing slopes and snowy north facing slopes. Second night was at Relief Reservoir, very crowded with groups more interested in socializing than solitude. Third night was at Sheep Camp, still gripped by snow, nobody but me!

Day 1: Kennedy Meadows to Kennedy Lake. 8.6 miles, 5.2 hours, 1960 elevation gain (including a ¾ mile day hike)

The Forest Service parking lot requires half a mile walking a narrow road past trailer parks and the resort. Kennedy Meadow proper was lush and gorgeous and full of day-hikers. Once I passed the first bridge across Summit Creek, several VERY large organized groups of early teens passed me coming down the trail. At least they were coming out, not going in!
IMG_0362_edited-1.jpg
Turning onto the Kennedy Lake trail there were several smaller groups ahead of me including a couple with two llamas. We all kept bumping into each other as we walked towards Kennedy Lake. There were many side creeks to cross, one which I waded. Shortly we ran into a CCC crew doing trail work. The trail was not in bad shape but I suspect that trail crews were assigned and could not get into the higher trails, so they were just filling in with lower elevation trails. As usual the crew members were very friendly.
IMG_0275_edited-1.jpg
Two groups reached the established campsites just after the old cabin up from the confluence with Soda Creek before I did. Nobody was crossing the creek to the better campsites on the south side. These meadows below the lake were soggy but so green and full of yellow wildflowers. There was not a bit of snow! I continued on and found a nice established site on the north shore, with a good view but marginal sloping spot that just fit my tent.
IMG_0274_edited-1.jpg
272-3_Kennedy-Soda Creek confluence_edited-2.jpg
IMG_0278_edited-1.jpg
After setting up I had hoped to fish, but the wind was fierce and the lake water was rough and murky. So I walked up the trail hopefully to explore the timber above the willow choked inlet, but was stopped by a swift but narrow side creek in which I could hear cobbles knocking into each other pushed by the strong current. It would not have been too bad to cross but at this time of the evening I was not into wade. Back at camp I cooked dinner as another couple walked by and I assume they did cross the creek. The night was cold but stars were brilliant.
IMG_0283_edited-1.jpg
IMG_0291_edited-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: TR: 6/20-23 Kennedy Lk-Relief Res-Summit Cr

Day 2: Kennedy Lake to Relief Reservoir. 9.2 miles, 6.1 hours, 915 elevation gain (including a ¾ mile day hike)

I had planned on an all-day side-trip up Soda Creek, but unable to cross Kennedy Creek I had to change plans. I had slept in not wanting to get out into the cold; frost covered the grass down by the lake as I walked down for photos. I was in no hurry managing to get going at 9AM.
IMG_0280_edited-1.jpg

On the way down I stopped in two places and tried fishing stream below the outlet. The water was very murky and I doubt any fish could even see my fly. I gave up and continued back to the junction with the trail to Relief Reservoir. There were again tons of people going up the trail, including groups of young folks, families, dogs, fishermen, and obvious beginners who were going to the Reservoir for a beach party. Evidently Relief Reservoir has become well known due to internet sites with GPS tracks to the large established campsite where Grouse Creek enters the reservoir. Grouse Creek was a very wide but shallow wade across.
IMG_0303_edited-1.jpg
Shortly after the crossing a vague non-marked trail goes to the campsites, where I felt as I had entered a tent city! I found a site farthest away and up on a rocky buttress. I was able to find a private spot down at the water for a nice bath. Later in the afternoon a group of teens climbed up the rocky buttress from the shore only to top out right at my tent door! I tried a bit of fishing but again it was too windy. I walked down to the main camp and kids were fishing. A young fellow and a woman had caught nice fish on spin gear. I fished a bit south of my campsite but it was too windy.
IMG_0305_edited-1.jpg
A few of the young folks I had met on the trail chatted with me. After dinner I walked south up onto the top of the large rocky hill where I spotted a deer and some fresh bear droppings too. Views of Grouse Creek falls were good on this hill. As I contemplated my and although everyone was very friendy, staying at Relief Reservoir was not one of my choices! I had planned on a day-hike up Summit Creek, but now I would pack up and camp somewhere higher. It was still light at 9PM, but I popped in ear plugs, put on my sleep mask, chugged down Advil and went to sleep.
IMG_0309_edited-1.jpg
IMG_0282_edited-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Day 3: Relief Reservoir to Sheep Camp plus day-hike to upper Lunch Meadow. 7.1 miles, 6.1 hours, 2,185 feet elevation)

It did not freeze at night. Relief Reservoir is at 7,200 feet (Kennedy Lake was at 7,800 feet) but I think it had more to do with change in weather. Both nights you could see dark clouds up towards the mountains but then clear off at night when the wind died down. I got up early and the reservoir was glassy, but the only rises were out in the middle. I decided not to fish and packed up leaving at 8:15 AM.
316-17_edited-2.jpg
Just above the trail junction was the first snow patch and the trail often became a stream. I do not know if I was spooking the same deer or if my encounters were several. I was on the trail alone all day. When I came to Saucer Meadow an icy snow patch in the shade of a steep cliff forced me down into the swamp. Some quick foot work kept my shoes dry. The trail was dry down the some established campsites at the confluence of Lewis and Summit creeks. One option was to camp here and day-hike farther. I decided to continue. The next mile is through an old mudslide area, where two big gullies have washed out the trail, requiring uphill detours. Snow patches were now covering about half the ground and the trail was hard to follow, however, the trail is hard to follow here without snow.
355-56_edited-1.jpg
A north-facing set of cliffs are reached just before a 300-foot climb to the valley above containing Sheep Camp and Lunch Meadow. At 8,700 feet it was mostly snow, some quite steep and hard enough that I did not feel safe continuing on the trail. Later in the day when snow was softer or if I had traction devices, I would have stayed on the trail (or rather on snow where the trail was). Luckily there is a melted-out very steep dirt gully with a game trail (a few rock cairns mark the route) to a little pass quarter mile north of the trail pass. Once over this pass it looked like winter! Although the south facing dark rock side of the valley was well melted out, the valley itself was all snow, excepting a few tree wells and a few sandy spots on the rock buttresses.
343-45_edited-2.jpg
324-26_edited-2.jpg
IMG_0330_small.jpg

It was noon, and I set up my tent near the trail in a large melted out tree well. The trail was a stream running enough that I gathered water to warm for a later bath. I knew I would move the tent later but needed something to put my camp gear in while I used the pack for a day-hike up to Lunch Meadow (8,900 feet), which was not yet a meadow but a snowfield full of sun-cups. The snow was surprisingly firm but very uneven. I occasionally went higher uphill onto the steeper melted out rocky hillside. I was glad I had not decided to camp up in Lunch Meadow. Summit Creek had under-cut the snowbanks making it treacherous to get down to the water level, but I found one safe spot and threw the fly into a pool with no luck. I ended on top of a set of rocks just short of the Brown Bear-Mosquito Pass trail junction and then returned to my tent.
IMG_0337_edited-1.jpg
IMG_0338_edited-1.jpg
It was 3:00 and I started searching for a better campsite, finding one up on a nice sandy bench above the main valley. I packed up again and moved, this time with two 2-Liters of water. I set up and then used the warmed water for a nice bath. One tall two-trunked tree also stood on the bench and later, to my horror, I saw that the back side was hollow! It was leaning right towards my tent. So again I packed up and moved up higher to the next sandy bench. (Of course, by morning the tree still stood, but I would have worried all night.) My final site had a marginal flat spot for the tent, but was up where I would get both late and early sunshine and the view was great. I was tired, sat down and cooked dinner. After a rest I walked around the rocky buttress finding another better site still further uphill, but I was not moving again!

IMG_0341_cropped_edited-1.jpg
IMG_0346_edited-1.jpg
IMG_0351_edited-1.jpg
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Day 4: Sheep Camp to TH. 8.7 miles, 5.1 hours, +910 and -2845 feet elevation

Without traction the snow would be too hard until at least an hour of sunshine, so I slept in and took plenty of time to cook breakfast and pack. Leaving at 9AM, I was happy that the snow was firm but I could kick a good step. I returned down the steep dirt gully and returned the same route. There were a few new footprints. I thought I had heard distant voices the day before. I met two fellows who were hoping to get to Upper Emigrant Lake and come back via Big Sam and Kennedy Creek. They had micro-spikes and appeared quite experienced. At the established sites at Lewis Creek confluence, I met two large groups; one had camped here and was heading out and another going in to Emigrant Lake. They on the other hand appeared ill equipped and overly optimistic for what was ahead. They had yet stepped on much snow.
IMG_0360_edited-1.jpg
I had enough food to stay the night at Relief Reservoir and try more fishing, but it was only noon when I reached Grouse Creek, so decided to just go out and home. Again, the trail was full of day-hikers and backpackers going in. I headed home at 3PM and surprisingly, traffic was light and arrived in time for dinner. All in all, it was a fine trip, especially since there were NO mosquitoes!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

That does look like a fine trip, just catching the end of the snow to prevent mosquitos & provide some challenge. :)

The snow on the north faces gives me some hope, but it looks like ski season is pretty much done.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

What a great report and set of pictures WD. I always enjoy your trip reports. Makes me look forward to our trip into that area next month even more.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
cantare
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cantare »

Thanks for the great report and pics! With the snowlines as described here, I'm assuming the slab & lake country N & E of cherry creek canyon should be decently snow-free below ~8700'. Anyone know the state of water crossings heading out of crabtree, such as piute cr or cherry cr in louse canyon?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

The Forest Service snow map shows that both sides of Cherry Creek below Huckleberry Lake are mostly snow free. This map matches what I saw last weekend quite well, so I think it is mostly accurate.

https://www.fs.fed.us/r5/webmaps/SierraSnowDepth/
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the great photos and report! Sorry the fishing wasn't hot, but I'm glad you were able to have a good trip (and with no mosquitoes, to boot).
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

Thanks for the report. I'll be headed in to Emigrant after the 4th via crabtree. Seeing your camp at sheep camp, makes me think I'll be meandering around the lower areas, Hyatt, Big Lake and Yellowhammer.