Rae Lakes Loop - End of July - Advice

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tgk5007
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Rae Lakes Loop - End of July - Advice

Post by tgk5007 »

Hi there,

I just got awarded a permit (YAY) to do the Rae Lakes Loop in Late July into early August. Right now, I have 5 days budgeted to the trip, and plan to take the counter-clockwise route. I am planning on hiking with a beginner friend, who has experience camping but will be his first backpacking trip. I may also end up hiking this alone.

Couple questions. I have my books and guides but want to crowdsource some info as well:
1. Where are the best campsites along this route?
2. Are there any remarkable side trips?
3. Any tips or advice for this trip or things I should be wary of?
4. Any stories to share that could help me?

Thank you!
Tom
tgk5007
Topix Novice

Re: Rae Lakes Loop - End of July - Advice

Post by tgk5007 »

Bumping this up - does anyone have any trail conditions for this route?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Check the Conditions Reports thread, have posted info on SFKR crossing and Glen Pass conditions.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=19398&start=70#p148033
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

tgk5007 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:37 pm
Couple questions. I have my books and guides but want to crowdsource some info as well:
1. Where are the best campsites along this route?
2. Are there any remarkable side trips?
3. Any tips or advice for this trip or things I should be wary of?
4. Any stories to share that could help me?

Thank you!
Tom
1. That depends on whether you like people or not. There will be quite a few, between JMT thru hikers and other loop walkers. Everything is beautiful.
2. Of course. One could say that about every trail out there. Sixty Lakes Basin is quite popular, Kearsarge Lakes would be spectacular, you might stop in at Charlotte and say hi to the ranger.
3. Habituated bears. Store your food properly. Ask about current conditions when you pick up the permit.
4. There are plenty of Rae Lakes trip reports around the forum, and the internet. The best story is the one you make for yourself.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

What does "best campsites" mean to you?

I bother to ask because apparently most groups in this era think camping in lake "villages" within a few feet of trails with several neighbors is best. In other words are you one of the minority that actually prefer seclusion? That actually choose camp sites that are not right next to and visible from trails or minimal distances from popular lakes or right next to other groups? And do you need tent sites exquisitely flattened and smooth for large family tents?

If not there are vast areas of pristine wilderness that I always easily find where a great many primitive sites will look like no others have ever camped there or at least not within the recent decade. One really doesn't need advice to find such camp spots but rather when reaching a destination zone, just wander about well away from trails and "villages" looking. Instead what occurs in typical groups is the first person in a group after hiking 6 to 10 miles through otherwise empty wilderness reaches a popular lake and plunks down at the first available heavily used camp spot that is not already taken. They immediately begin to remove gear from their pack and when other's arrive there isn't much to debate except where you will plunk down your tent. One can of course use Google Earth to size up what destination camping zones look like that may provide excellent ideas as to where good prospects are.

In 2014 I backpacked a week over Kearsarge Pass. At Kearsarge Lakes where the trail ends at the least interesting northeast lake, there were at least a half dozen groups on top of each other at the only bear box with another half dozen along the shore of the next lake. There were no groups, nada, zero along the main lake 10896, and probably none of those groups even bothered to look because if they had would have come to the conclusion it was by far the best and most scenic with some of the best sites one will find in the range.

And at Rae Lakes if one actually bothers to look, there are excellent places to camp along shores opposite the trail side of the lakes.
tgk5007
Topix Novice

Post by tgk5007 »

I'll likely be solo - and looking for some solitude! I'll take your advice and check out Google satellite images. Thank you!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

tgk5007 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:35 am I'll likely be solo - and looking for some solitude! I'll take your advice and check out Google satellite images. Thank you!
Google Earth is not the same as satellite images. It is a sizeable 3-D application that must be downloaded (freeware) and run from a PC. Well, now they do have a smartphone app but viewing on a laptop or desktop with a larger monitor is far more practical.