Looking for Advice on Mineral King loop and Plan B - 7-17-19

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
fox212
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Looking for Advice on Mineral King loop and Plan B - 7-17-19

Post by fox212 »

Hi All!

We have a permit for Mineral king for a 5-day hike heading out over Franklin Pass, down Soda Canyon, up Lost Canyon, and back via Sawtooth Pass. Link to route HERE. We'd be hiking for 5 days, 4 nights, returning 7/21.

We are level 3 and 4 backpackers comfortable with class 3 hiking, as well as late spring/early summer conditions in the Sierra.

I'm looking for any specific tidbits y'all can share about our route and watch outs for this time of year and snow level. "Done it before" type info would be great.

ALSO, I'm looking for some potential alternate routes with similar mileage in case we decide it's not in the cards for whatever reason. Ideally around or near MK. I understand this could involve some driving - that's OK, we will be driving up the day before and will likely have extra time go elsewhere if needed.

I'd say priorities are big mountain scenery and lakes, but really we all just want to get out there and enjoy some Sierra Nevada goodness!

Based on the intel I've gathered it's looking like it might be one of "those" trips with a hefty dose of type-2 fun. We're not necessarily against that, just mulling over potential alternatives. We are planning to take our time and are not going for big miles - about 6.5 per day on our current itinerary.

I called the MK ranger station and they haven't had any recent reports of Sawtooth Pass in the last week or so, and the latest report indicated a Bergschrund has developed somewhere on the east side of the pass. I'd love to get any specific info on this if possible - has it happened in the past? How severe was it? Alternative routes other than Black Rock Pass > Timber Gap, given our group's experience level? That would probably add a day to our trip but might be doable. Obviously things are changing daily so I'll be keeping an eye on all the weather/conditions resources I know of, but I'd love to hear the sage wisdom of all you HST'ers as well. I'll definitely post a TR or two in trade :D

Thank you in advance!

EDIT: Sorry if this sounds like a conditions request - To be clear, I'm looking for alternate routes over/around Sawtooth Pass, or alternative 5-day hike options in the area. Thanks again!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Looking for Advice on Mineral King loop and Plan B - 7-17-19

Post by kpeter »

Here is my trip report from two years ago, a very similar snow year. I came back via Kaweah rather than via Sawtooth. I was also a couple of weeks later in the year, and by then the snow was very manageable. Since I did not do Sawtooth I am not sure what you will find. But if you take my report and add more water on the crossings and some more snow and you will get an idea. Franklin Pass, for example, involved walking around a cornice and angling down a small 40 degree ice field on a pretty well worn path. It will be a bit worse for you since you are earlier.

http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... in#p124452
fox212
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Looking for Advice on Mineral King loop and Plan B - 7-17-19

Post by fox212 »

Thanks, kpeter! Beautiful photos by the way.