Routing My Yosemite Trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
HappyHiker11
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Routing My Yosemite Trip

Post by HappyHiker11 »

maiathebee wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:01 pm The tarn, if not dry, will be brackish and gross. It has a lot of grass growing in it. The stream is weak even in early season so will almost surely be dry.
- This is definitely what I was expecting. So we'll likely decide to either remain on the saddle a 2nd night depending on the timing of a 1/2 Dome summit. Or if all goes well and we feel up to it. We can take water from the JMT / CR junction up to dry camp on the N-E shoulder. If taking water, I'm sure there are enough spots to pull up there for the night with a view over Tenaya Canyon and Olmstead Point? I doubt we'd feel up to hiking the full leg all the way to Sunrise Lakes. That'd be 2 pretty big days in a row.
maiathebee wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:01 pm There is a little stream you cross (easy to miss it though as the bridge is unremarkable and you might not notice if distracted) about halfway up the little section of the Echo Creek trail that you'll take if you take the higher route there.
- is this the little creek that drops down to the Merced a little to the N-E of Bunnell Point? The one just after the little pond (that may or may not be useful) at about 1,600'?
- I was expecting to have to tank up leaving the Merced River / Echo Creek falls area before climbing up to the high-trail connector. But it'd of course be nice if either of those sources are reliable soon. We wouldn't have to carry water up quite as much.
maiathebee wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:01 pm I like both the higher trail and the Merced canyon trail through LYV. Canyon route is more interesting at peak snowmelt when Merced is raging. Higher route has views down the canyon that are nice, too. Even though the higher route has a burn section, so does the canyon route. Plus that section of burn in the canyon seems to go on forever and is hot as hell in the afternoon, especially in August. Also JMT from LYV up Sunrise is steep and you probably wont want that at the end of this long day. I suggest getting a very early start on that day. Hiking west is better views and photos in the morning anyway.
- Thanks for this as well. It kind of confirmed what I was thinking. If we decide to exit out the center valley. We may drop down the canyon / river trail this way. But if we're heading to Half Dome. Then I'm guessing we'll take the more direct route. I don't know if future me would like a long steep climb at the end of a long day. :-D
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Routing My Yosemite Trip

Post by maiathebee »

HappyHiker11 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:59 pm
maiathebee wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:01 pm There is a little stream you cross (easy to miss it though as the bridge is unremarkable and you might not notice if distracted) about halfway up the little section of the Echo Creek trail that you'll take if you take the higher route there.
- is this the little creek that drops down to the Merced a little to the N-E of Bunnell Point? The one just after the little pond (that may or may not be useful) at about 1,600'?
No. The stream isn't shown on maps. It's halfway up the connector trail that connects the trail in Merced Canyon with the "higher" trail / trail up Echo creek.
HappyHiker11 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:59 pm - I was expecting to have to tank up leaving the Merced River / Echo Creek falls area before climbing up to the high-trail connector. But it'd of course be nice if either of those sources are reliable soon. We wouldn't have to carry water up quite as much.
Might not be a bad idea, but I'm pretty sure the stream will be flowing!
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love