Early Sept KCHBR/SOSHR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Early Sept KCHBR/SOSHR

Post by CAMERONM »

My Day 4 ends at island lake at the very end of Kaweah Basin, then the next day I’m going over to the last lake on Picket Creek, drop my gear and tag Picket Guard Peak. I’ll camp back at the lake. If I’m missing something else really good over here please let me know!
While opinions may vary about how long you should spend in the Basin, if that is your day 4, it seems like a very reasonable day. But somehow cumulatively in the middle your trip seems one day shy to me, and that's really moving through a lot of territory.
Last edited by CAMERONM on Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Sorry, for some reason I did not see your Day 4. Nevertheless, Day 4 looks quite difficult. Not sure if you have been there before, but getting around the large lake west of Pyra Queen Pass is slow with a lot of rock-hopping. Much of the terrain on Day 4 is talus, not quick travel.

Are you missing something? All along the route there are wonderful little side trips that would require more time; too many to elaborate. However if you just want to bomb through the route, you will get a good overview and note places to come back to later with more time. All depends on your style of backpacking and goals for your trip.

Not likely, but you could get some weather and some of the off-trail route sections are not safe to do in poor weather, so a contingency day is useful. Also, less daylight in September. You just need to do the numbers and estimate the hours needed to make each day's goal. On many of my trips, I come out a day early, but really like having the contingency when needed. It reduces stress when conditions become unexpected.
stringbop
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by stringbop »

CAMERONM wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:43 pm
You need to get a special permit to exit Whitney Portal.
Really? Isn't it that anyone who originates in SEKI is free to exit anywhere on the Inyo side?
You are correct. You do not need a special permit if you are originating from SEKI.