Lake 11092

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Lake 11092

Post by tlsharb »

So I'm heading the warnings from those on this board who know much more than I do. In early Sept. we will be looping around from Humphrey basin toward Darwin Basin. We were going to go over the the glacier divide, but due to massive snow, that has been scrapped and we'll take the trail down to the Jmt and back up to Evolution Valley. The question: what is it like to climb out of Evolution Valley up to the lake. Is there any kind of use trail? Or do you just take a left uphill before you hit the ranger station in McClure Meadow?
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Lake 11092

Post by SSSdave »

That is not a question an experienced off trail hiker would ask because the topographic map shows that as rather obvious. Looking at the map:

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.1935 ... 6&z=15&b=t

It is rather obvious to an experienced map user that one could start climbing up those south facing slopes just about anywhere over a mile and one half section of the valley because slope gradients are modest. A key skill for those learning crosscountry is to become familiar with 7.5m topo elevation lines to understand what is likely doable and what when lines are close together is questionable. Along with the topo one should switch between the satellite mode because sometimes a slope may not be that steep while containing other impediments like brush, awkward geology like talus or scree, or swampy willow thickets etc. Additionally before a trip while at home one might use Google Earth. Generally I do not recommend trying to locate use paths to such off trail destinations because due to the open high country landscapes they are usually no better than walking wherever.

Since you will be moving up the trail from the west, you could target following up the outlet stream. What I do is look for a route that does not contain any steep gradient sections and then enroute visually at smaller scales alter such routes to efficiently avoid unpleasant features like rock and log piles. A wise behavior is to have a map close at hand when doing so instead of relying on what one may have looked at the day before or when starting. On the topo that would be directly north-northwest of the "M" in Meadow of "McClure Meadow Ranger Station" text. Upon reaching the 10160 line the slope eases up the rest of that route.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

As SSSDave has said, the topographic map makes the approach options pretty obvious and if one cannot read a topo map it is not a good idea to head for off trail destinations such as this. The terrain is not especially rough but one does need how to read a topo to make it work. I would imagine there is in fact a use trail because stock do reach that place (have seen horse poop there) but I wouldn't count on finding it and following it. I have not come up from below--my two visits have come from Darwin Cyn by contouring along benches.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

He asked if there was a use trail somewhere. That's a reasonable question, experienced or not.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by robertseeburger »

There is a use trail. It is starts just north of the ranger station ( 100 yards?) and cuts up and left up the prominent gully toward the outlet stream (easily seen on the topo map,) and then right to the lake. It is like many use trails.. easy to locate, easy to lose and regain. As SSS Dave and Giantbrookie say, it is not a big deal if you dont locate the use trail..you can there on your own.
tlsharb
Topix Regular

Post by tlsharb »

Thanks much. I'm actually pretty decent with a topo, but still like to find info on areas I haven't traversed. Beta can save you a lot of time in some situations. And just to be clear, I have been promoted to a "topix regular" :). Kinda happy about that. Seriously, I do value all the info you all share on this board. Thanks again.
Mtbski
Topix Novice

Post by Mtbski »

Agreed. It is a reasonable question, experienced or not.