No Granite Lk in Moke this year

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

No Granite Lk in Moke this year

Post by TahoeJeff »

From the Alpine Co Road Dept website:

BLUE LAKES UPDATE:
Due to planned work by PGE at Upper Blue Lake Dam and surrounding campgrounds all recreation located around Upper Blue Lake will be closed to the public for the entire 2019 season. Recreation around Lower Blue Lake will be open. The closures include the following campgrounds: Middle Creek, Middle Creek Expansion, Upper Blue Lake Dam Site, Upper Blue Lake Dam Site Expansion, Upper Blue Lake. The closure includes access to the Grouse Lake/Granite Lake Trailhead and all boat ramp access to Upper Blue Lake.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: No Granite Lk in Moke this year

Post by wildhiker »

Thanks for posting! This is the kind of information that can otherwise be hard to get. I'm not planning a trip in that area this year, but if I were, I probably wouldn't think to check for closures due to PG&E work! And then I would be disappointed to arrive and find the trail closed.
-Phil
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Thanks for posting. I was in fact planning to target Granite in the fall. Of course there is the "hard way" going up from Meadow and heading by Evergreen, but that feels like a lot of work in comparison to what we're y used to. I think last week (he cooked up a bunch of delicious red meated goldens I brought home) awoke a bit of Sierran spirit in my son who is partly on board to do a motel-camping sort of trip associated with short dayhikes. MFE, cabezon, and rockfish are tasty, but cutties and goldens are still better.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Maybe a relatively easy XC route from the inlet to Twin Lake up to Granite. No reason that shouldn't work.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
fish4gold
Topix Regular

Post by fish4gold »

Thanks for posting! Like Wild, I would have otherwise had no idea!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

But balzacom called it: it is a quick run up from Twin.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman