TR: Moose Lake 7/11-7/12

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Fonzalvarez
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: TR: Moose Lake 7/11-7/12

Post by Fonzalvarez »

I am doing a 2 night backpacking trip on the Alta Trail in the middle of August this year.

First trip for my girlfriend and I without our mentors (good friends who have taught us a thing or two on backpacking). I am looking at going to Moose lake for our second night and exiting the next morning back on the Alta Trail to Wolverton.

How would you rate the traverse from Alta Meadow up to Moose Lake? Is the route easy to find?

How would you compare it to lets say, the traverse from White Chief up to Mosquito Lakes and then down to Eagle Lake in Mineral King?

My girlfriend and I are in good shape (we are in our mid 30's and are physically active), we have a level 2 backpacking experience and looking to gain more experience.

I am constantly looking at reports of this route and looking at topo maps for Moose Lake and do think its doable for us.

I guess I am looking for assurance or advice if this is something that people recommend to do as a first solo trip without experienced or seasoned backpackers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Moose Lake 7/11-7/12

Post by thegib »

The terrain throughout the tablelands is easy going. If you can read a topo you won't have any trouble.