Sonora Pass=>Carson Pass Conditions?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Sierra_Summits
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Sonora Pass=>Carson Pass Conditions?

Post by Sierra_Summits »

Just curious if anyone has been on the PCT in this area who might have some recent info. I will start a trip on June29th, next Monday, and would love to know of any snowfields or creek crossings. Also, how are the wildflowers?

Thanks!
"Heaven is here on Earth!"

--Bob Marley
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Sonora Pass=>Carson Pass Conditions?

Post by SSSdave »

Latest caltopo High Res shows just patchy areas of snow. Archive from 3 weeks ago shows many areas already melted thus would expect there have been plenty of days for greenery and wildflowers to move towards the peak of their cycles. I've explored many of those volcanic areas because the rich geology tends to support an abundance of wildflowers including large flowers of mule ears and arrowhead balsamwood. Especially like the colorful areas for several miles north of Ebbetts Pass amid amazing erosion formations many of which contain bright colorful lichens.
Sierra_Summits
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sierra_Summits »

Thanks SSS! Appreciate the comments! I’m excited for the wildflowers! Sounds like the peak is near!

--Bob Marley
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Are you talking about a specific route, such as the PCT from Sonora Pass to Carson Pass, or just the general areas around the passes? I am confused; you said start the trip June 29? Do you mean July 29?

PCT journals are a good source of information, however, they are not very good at naming flowers or even knowing where they are except for mileage markers along the PCT. But you get a general idea.
Sierra_Summits
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sierra_Summits »

Daisy,
Hi! Yes I meant to say July 29. Also I will be hiking the PCT, and was just seeing if there were any large snowfields or hazardous creek crossings. Thanks for the idea to look at some Pct journals from this year.

--Bob Marley
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

I thought about going up the PCT last week, (but ended up going elsewhere) and had looked for PCT journals. Last week I only found 2 who had crossed Carson Iceberg and they did no mention creek crossings, but that doesn’t mean that they aren’t bad. There was a woman who probably has finished that section “Going Home” was her trail name, I believe. She may have posted by now and had pretty good trail descriptions.
I know that last week there was enough snow that most of the roads to the TH’s were not passable. I was concerned about creek crossings. Depending upon where you got, you will need to cross the East Fork Carson River.
Restless Kiwi Adventures has a fantastic blog and she was there about 2 mo ago. She explains how, one day, she stays off the trail, on the other side of hte river, until 8miles later she finds a crossing.
Of course, the conditions will not be as tough now, however, you still might want to watch that episode just in case you face a difficult crossing in that same area.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Sorry, didn't log on for a few days and so didn't comment in time. It's now the 30th, but will comment for others in case someone is still interested.

I was dayhiking on the PCT/vicinity around Carson Pass ~7/5-7 and the PCT/vicinity around Ebbetts Pass ~7/12-14. At those dates there was ~50% snow coverage on the North and NE slopes in both locations. In places the trail was buried enough to make finding it a bit of a chore, even the heavily used PCT. Micro spikes were helpful, but a few folks were making it through without them. Snow was humped up in places (as usual) and a few creek crossings were easier waded than hopped. None of this was preventing the through hikers from getting through. Only a few mosquitoes in those locations on those weekends.