Question on Yosemite High Route by Skurka

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
whttiger25
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Question on Yosemite High Route by Skurka

Post by whttiger25 »

Hello,

I know Andrew would be the best person to answer this but he's MIA and I'm trying to plan his "North Canyons" section hike in North Yosemite using only the data sheets (as he hasn't released his route descriptions yet). There is a vague part of the datasheet and I'm hoping someone here is familiar with the area and can guide me.

Basically according to the datasheet the goal is to get from the CR-12 marker on Suicide Ridge on the SW side of Rock Island Lake to the PCS 10 Marker on Rancheria Creek north of Seavey Pass. To me just looking at the topo, it seems the easiest way to do this would be to NOT climb Suicide ridge to the southeast, and instead climb the gentle saddle on the southwest shore of Rock Island Lake, head down this drainage southwest, and continue southwest up a small 200 foot pass and down the other side. However, in the datasheet, Skurka claims a) you ascend suicide ridge, which is going the opposite direction of this col southwest of the lake, and b) the route is 3.4 miles which includes 470ft of vertical. I just can't find any realistic route that fits those parameters.

see the link below for what i'm looking at. Anyone have a suggestion for the best way to get from rock island lake to the PCT? Am I on the right track?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/38.0733 ... e0!5m1!1e4
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Question on Yosemite High Route by Skurka

Post by wildhiker »

Well, the absolutely easiest route, though longer, is to cross the broad saddle north of Rock Island Lake, contour over to the trail, and then take the trail down to Kerrick Meadows and down to the PCT. It's actually a nice trail route, crossing or edging lots of beautiful meadows.
-Phil
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I went from Rock Island Lake down to Slide Creek by Bath Mountain and then on over to Matterhorn Canyon, years ago. All that country has a lot of small-scale complex terrain that does not show up on the map. All it takes is one 20-foot cliff to stop you. Or one small section of horrible brush. If after studying Google Earth closely, you think your alternative will go, then try it, but be prepared for slow travel. Who knows, maybe it will go fine.

By the way, my impression of Skurka's routes, is that he does not do a lot of scouting alternatives. Not that his routes are wrong, just that they are simply one way to go.
milkfish
Topix Acquainted

Post by milkfish »

It looks like his guided trips end today so I think he should be reachable in a few days.
whttiger25
Topix Novice

Post by whttiger25 »

Thank you all!
andrewskurka
Topix Novice

Post by andrewskurka »

Not sure when you purchased the Guide, but on July 15 I sent out a route description for the Core Route and the Section-hikes north of Tuolumne. I need to get these resources (and eventually a full version) to customers who purchased since July 9. Something for me to do next week; I'm flying back today.

I saw that you emailed me as well. I'll get the info to you that way.

The short answer to your question is that from the Rock Island Pass Trail, you climb into the Rock Island Lake basin, then follow the western shoreline to the saddle between Rock Island and the unnamed creek that eventually flows into Piute Creek. Follow this creek to 9,000 feet, and hop a small pass to Rancheria Creek at the eastern side of Kerrick Canyon.
whttiger25
Topix Novice

Post by whttiger25 »

Thanks Andrew! Yes, I purchased on July 19, so I just missed you. Thanks for your email. We leave July 31, so hopefully I’ll see your core route notes from you before then. We did the first section hike of your KCBHR last year ( brewer to tablelands ) and loved it. I think my hiking buddy and i will eventually do all your xc routes :)
maddog525
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by maddog525 »

How was the trip? Any troublesome sections?
Pietro257
Topix Regular

Post by Pietro257 »

On his website Skurka says, "We comfortably did the entire route (Sierra High Route) in 8 days and 4 hours, an average about 23 miles a day." I'm skeptical. And if he did do it 8 days, he didn't see much except for the tops of his boots, so what's the point?