Elizabeth / Johnson Yosemite camping rules Q

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Elizabeth / Johnson Yosemite camping rules Q

Post by maiathebee »

wildhiker wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:12 pm You don't say how long you are planning for the segment from Donohue Pass to Evelyn Lake. It sounds like you are planning to use the JMT and then the Ireland Lake trail. If you are planning a night's camp somewhere in there, then I suggest you consider a x-c alternative, leaving the JMT just below the little tarn about 1.5 miles down from Donohue Pass, camping in the Maclure Creek drainage, and then continuing over the pass south of Amelia Earhart Peak down to Ireland Lake and then x-c over the broad saddle south of point 11,100 to Townsley Lake. This is all pretty easy, mostly class 1, no more difficult than the Tablelands you reported on a year or two ago. PM me if you'd like a map of the x-c routes. I've been through that area x-c at least 4 times - once with my kids ages 7 to 12.
Thanks, Phil! Your inferring was correct. I was planning to take the JMT then Ireland Lake trail, didn't even think of cutting over, but that's a good idea! Looks like there's still a bit of snow on the saddle SSW of Amelia Earhart. I don't mind snow so long as it's not steep---I'll have microspikes and trekking poles---do you reckon it's doable with just that equipment if it's still there in a couple weeks? I think I can see the route pretty well from maps but I won't say no to more details via PM if you're offering :)
SSSdave wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:45 am Notice the boundary line cuts across just below the small pond northeast of the peak and also does not include the small no name ponds southwest of the peak.
Blurry but helpful confirmation. Good to know about those maps. I'm planning to drop my car at TM so if the ranger station is open when I do it, I'll ask to see those maps. Thanks Dave!
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love