Tale of Three Drainages: S Fork Merced, Merced, San Joaquin 7/20-26

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tale of Three Drainages: S Fork Merced, Merced, San Joaquin 7/20-26

Post by rlown »

giantbrookie wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:52 pm
rlown wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:53 pm nice report so far. What kind of stove died and how?
It was an old Coleman Peak 1 duel fuel stove. I'm not sure what exactly is ailing it. On the warmup trip the pump seemed to stop working, but then it sort of "revived" on the second day. This pattern continued to this trip until the final failure where I appeared to be able to pump it but then nothing escaped (neither, air, gas, nor mixture) when the stove was turned on.
Jet is clogged. It requires a tear down and clear the lines. Keep the pump lubed as well.
Glad you were able to get out despite the skeeters and weather.
BESON
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by BESON »

Great report!
Brian
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

What a great report on an epic trip, especially for your daughter. She certainly is the toughest 13 year old hiker I've ever heard about. I didn't try anything so adventuresome with my teenagers, but 13 was about the "magic age" for them, too, when they were always ahead of me on the trail. And I was only 39 when the oldest turned 13! Of course, I was carrying a heavy load, as you were. Much heavier equipment back then.
-Phil
steiny98
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by steiny98 »

What an incredible trip, GB! While not a fishing "success" by your standards, it certainly is in mine.

It is quite impressive that your daughter is tackling such a tough cross country route at such a young age.

re: your black mamba brew - perchance named after Kobe?
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

kpeter wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:08 pm In following along, I was not quite sure how you got from Adair to Edna. Did you use any of the Red Peak Pass trail? I absolutely love Red Devil Lake and wonder where you went relative to it and the pass.
I had wanted to post an annotated topo that showed the entire route. I'm not sure why, when I export out of Illustrator (I do my annotations in Illustrator) as .jpg, there is something about that sort of .jpg file format that isn't supported by the attachment upload mode (I had also attempted to upload an annotated version of the photo that showed the route, too) in contrast to uploading the .jpg photos which upload seamlessly (.jpg files here are saved in Photoshop in 'low quality' .jpg mode dropping file size by about factor of 10 from the raw .jpg from mine or Dawn's point-and-shoot Canon cameras). I have now uploaded a pdf version of the route map (at beginning of trip narrative), but it displays as a link rather than an embedded graphic. The following description refers to the Merced Pk 15' quad redone in the Wilderness Press waterproof version with corrected trails (so elevations may differ a bit from 7.5' topo elevations): From Adair, we headed south up the drainage flowing into Adair, then across the tiny mini divide/ridge to the headwaters of the drainage just E of the one that Adair is in and then SE up to the saddle at 10960+ between peak 11385 to the north and the main Clark Range spine to the south (south includes Red Peak). On the SE side of the pass we headed SE and we crossed where the Red Peak Pass trail was at approximately 10600. We never saw a trail which was buried beneath extensive snow. After crossing where the trail should be we continued SE above a NE-facing cliff band, then dropped to the stream that flows ESE into "Lower" Edna Lake (Elev 9840+). This route's closest approach to Red Devil Lake would be about at the point we crossed the location of the trail where we were about 800 feet higher than and SW of the lake.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Had a similar issue with jpg photos.

Try this:

"I took my old pictures circa 2004/2005. Per some info I found on the phpbb bulletin board, I saved them as png files using paint. I then resaved them as jpg files. Paint warned me that I would lose transparency, which i think is the glitch. It still worked and I was able to post them."
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

rlown wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:21 pm
giantbrookie wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:52 pm
rlown wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:53 pm nice report so far. What kind of stove died and how?
It was an old Coleman Peak 1 duel fuel stove. I'm not sure what exactly is ailing it. On the warmup trip the pump seemed to stop working, but then it sort of "revived" on the second day. This pattern continued to this trip until the final failure where I appeared to be able to pump it but then nothing escaped (neither, air, gas, nor mixture) when the stove was turned on.
Jet is clogged. It requires a tear down and clear the lines. Keep the pump lubed as well.
Glad you were able to get out despite the skeeters and weather.
Thanks, sort of seemed like jet was clogged, which followed on the heels of the pump issue. I had neglected to lube the pump for awhile, belatedly realized it while on the trip, then dripped some vegetable (cooking) oil into the oiling hole to try to get the pump back in shape.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

steiny98 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:12 am re: your black mamba brew - perchance named after Kobe?
Many of my friends have asked me this, but I actually did originally name the brew thinking of the poisonous snake itself. But naming it after Kobe works, too.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Awesome report! And, happy birthday!
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

Thanks for sharing this special trip with us. Great report!