easy seki backpack with kids

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ginaemiko
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

easy seki backpack with kids

Post by ginaemiko »

hi there - new member looking for some advice on an easy overnight backpack in sequoia np or kings canyon. trying for a walk-up permit for redwood creek, but looks like there are only 5 available, so need a backup plan. we are looking for something not too challenging since this will be their first backpacking trip. ages 6 and 10, their longest hike has been 5 miles, 1400+ elevation in the canadian rockies. thanks much!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: easy seki backpack with kids

Post by c9h13no3 »

When are you going?
Where are you driving from?
Does it have to be in the park itself, or are adjacent wilderness areas also acceptable?

Me personally, I'd just day hike with the kids. Sounds like a crap ton of gear to carry. Course, I mostly day hike anyways and I don't have any kids.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Satchel Buddah
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Satchel Buddah »

Alta Meadow in Seki is a great overnighter - might be on the edge of long (it's about 6 miles). Depending on the kid's apetites you can go for Alta Peak summit on the way back, a bit strenuous and high altitude but hugely rewarding. This is a sort of mini hike that encompasses many aspects of a hike in the high sierra, and the views from camp near the bottom of Alta meadow are exquisite, vast vistas both sunrise and sunset. No camp fires in Alta Meadow, and leave no trace applies of course... Here is mileage from gaia gps starting off the Wolverton trailhead: Distance: 5.92 mi and elevation +2,640 ft / -778 ft

Redwood mountain is probably still doable in the middle of the week with a walk in permit but probably crowded out in the week-ends - the best camps are on the Hart Tree loop side, plenty of granite balconies with sunset views, about 1 hour and a half hike from the trailhead at a mellow pace. No camp fires either, and LNT as always. If you go there make sure to dayhike the other side (from the parking lot is easy) Sugar bowl grove is spectacular and would probably lit up the kid's eyes :).
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Post by zacjust32 »

Redwood canyon never fills up. There is a 95% chance you'll get the permit
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

You could also look at Seville or Jennie Lake. Nice areas, good destinations
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
ginaemiko
Topix Newbie

Post by ginaemiko »

thanks all! we are going to go to to the eastern sierras for more options.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

where Eastern Sierra?