Bear Lake and Humphreys Basins Advice

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mckee80
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Bear Lake and Humphreys Basins Advice

Post by mckee80 »

maiathebee wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:30 pm I just did 5 nights there 8/19-8/24 on basically exactly your route.
Thank you for the info! That is really helpful. What were the temperatures and mosquitoes like?
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maiathebee »

Temps were 65-75 daytime 35-45 nighttime. Mosquitos were horrendous at Hutchinson Meadow and present but tolerable most other campsites. Hiking didn't notice them, evenings we were lucky to have breeze most places (well, to be fair we planned to camp in exposed windy areas since there was no chance of inclement weather).
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
Laserjet3051
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Laserjet3051 »

maiathebee : Thank you for your comments on your recent trip. Similar to mckee80, I plan to begin a lollipop trip out from Pine Creek TH at about the same time, with the goal of going over Italy Pass and lollipopping by arcing south and then back east as conditions allow. I realize 2018/19 was a heavy snow year but am a bit surprised that even in September, some of these passes would be uncrossable without traction devices.

Just to be clear, you stated that:

Granite Park Pass is uncrossable?

Italy Pass is crossable, but the traverse from Italy Pass to Dancing Bear Pass was pretty sketchy and slow going due to high angle unavoidable snowfields? If so, can you offer any advice on pushing through here or an alternate/easier path? I'm very capable and experienced but will not be bringing an ice axe or crampons, but will have trekking poles.

Is Royce Pass clear on both sides? From Honeymoon, what did the approach look like?

Did your route go over White Bear Pass, and if so, did you ascend it from Brown Bear Lake with any difficulty/snow?

Really appreciate your insight here. It will likely help me avoid having to backtrack a considerable distance if I run into uncrossable terrain up at one of these Passes.

Any other advice/tips for a Pine Creek TH/Italy Lake/Bear Lake Basin lollipop trip? I'll be out solo for 4 days starting Sept 6. Thanks!
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Laserjet3051 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:48 am Granite Park Pass is uncrossable?
I don't think I'd ever assert that any pass is "uncrossable." It just depends on your group's skill, experience, and equipment. We had 3 xc newbies with us and only trekking poles. YMMV.
gp.jpg
Granite Park Pass 8/21/19

The standard route goes up the chute that is filled with snow in this photo. My friend climbed to the along the ledges on the left and looked over. Snow + cliffs obstructed on the other side. He said he could have climbed back down, diverted left/higher when climbing up and probably made his way across above the snowfields. Remember that the snow is late-season, sun-cupped, trenched, and compacted but slippery and not firm since it's not freezing at night, so traction devices may not be all that helpful if high angle.
Laserjet3051 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:48 am Italy Pass is crossable, but the traverse from Italy Pass to Dancing Bear Pass was pretty sketchy and slow going due to high angle unavoidable snowfields? If so, can you offer any advice on pushing through here or an alternate/easier path? I'm very capable and experienced but will not be bringing an ice axe or crampons, but will have trekking poles.
Italy is easy and has no snow. Same with Dancing Bear. It's the route between them that is annoying and tedious. It's not dangerous, just tiring and takes forever. I did it solo with trekking poles after having spent more time solo exploring Bear Lakes Basin while my friend took our 3 newbies straight from Bearpaw over. Here's a photo:
db_italy.jpg
Looking southwest at Dancing Bear from along the route to Italy Pass 8/21/19
Laserjet3051 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:48 am Is Royce Pass clear on both sides? From Honeymoon, what did the approach look like?
Not sure how you think I'd know the answer to this as I didn't visit Royce lakes. Down by Honeymoon the trail is in the woods and you can't see the pass. Or at least I didn't pay attention trying to look since we already planned to go Pine Creek. Sorry, can't help you here.
Laserjet3051 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:48 am Did your route go over White Bear Pass?
No.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

We just finished the Pine Ck - Italy pass - White bear - Feather pass - down Merriam creek - back over Pine Ck pass loop on the 27th. Fully agree w maiathebee. Granite Bear looked too filled with snow. I was hoping the right side had melted out but it hadn't. Otherwise, various patches had to be crossed en route but they were low angled or deeply sun cupped or both. Hiking poles and soft-ish shoes were sufficient. Bugs miserable in places.